Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Our Kogan tv will not turn on, the screen is absolutely

Customer Question

Our Kogan tv will not turn on, the screen is absolutely black, we have Foxtel and its connections are ok
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

When a device comes up blank or with black screen, it seems quite a block to getting anything done with it.

And sometimes that's just what it is: the device is 'broken', and that's that: it has to be repair-serviced, or replaced.

In this case, the first thing to do is, to observe, are there any signs of life anywhere when you first switch the TV On after it has been Off for a while? does the power light flash even briefly? Do any lights flash anywhere on the TV, for instance, do you get a repeated flash code?

The next thing to observe is, Are you using the right power outlet to plug in the device? the other connections are nothing much at this point - the thing to do is to make sure the power path into your device is A-OK and uninterrupted.

1. check the outlet, using another device (a small reliable device, e.g. a lamp) to make sure it is providing power, and has not been GFI-interrupted and that the circuit breaker for that outlet has not tripped (if so, it will need a reset.)

2. check the power cord to the TV. Is it OK along its length? is it firmly plugged in to the TV (if it is the removable type of power cord) ?

Let me know what you find out, please. I will advise you further.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
We have checked all of the above and everything is in the right place. Any other ideas
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

Any lights on the TV? or is it 'dead', period?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Its just dead
Expert:  Russell H. replied 8 days ago.

That's a shame. To be honest, if you've checked the outlet, the cord, and way it plugs into the TV, and the lights on the TV, and found nothing wrong about the setup except that the TV is showing no sign of life... then it's 'broken', somehow. And the worst of it is, with a completely dead TV, there's no indication whatever, no diagnostic blinking light code, or anything else, to point a direction to fixing it.

One more thing to check: is there a switch on the TV, or a push-button perhaps, that might be a breaker switch, that might need resettin? Look for one. Reset it, if there is one.

(If there's a fuse holder, which might be either oblong and transparent plastic and swing outward, or might be black and round and have a notch in it for a screwdriver, let me know, and I will instruct you further as to what to do with it.)