Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Thank you my wega tv has a screen that goes black but sound

Customer Question

thank you my wega tv has a screen that goes black but sound still there
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: where do i find that info
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: it does until screen goes black
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: the tv was fine last night i fell asleep while it was on and when i woke up the screen was black i turned it off and on the screen is there but disappers after 10 to 20 seconds with the sound remaining
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Can you please get me the model number off of the back of the Wega?

Also, are there any blinking lights on the front of the set?

Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

Please review my reply and post back to proceed.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no blinking lights(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no i had to find the serial number
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it took a minute
Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

Okay, that's not a model number and the serial number will not help us. Check for something like: KDL-32L100 or similar.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok be right back
Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
KV 32HS420
Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

Thank you, that's it. Now you mention the screen comes up and then fades out. Is this set connected to a cable box by any chance? If so, have you tried rebooting the cable box yet, by pulling it's power cord for 10 seconds and then plugging it back in?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it is and yes i have
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

Okay, the screen going black like this generally indicates a hardware issue in the TV (in most cases requiring repairs). Can you tell me if you can get anything to display on the screen using the buttons on the TV once it goes black (volume bar, MENU, etc.)?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
none of those
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
but when i turn it off and on again the picture is back for 10 20 seconds
Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

Alright that's bad news and points to a fault occurring in the video processing (high voltage circuit, CRT etc.) have failed or are out of spec. There are no quick fixes for this, since the picture is coming up and then fading out, it means there are parts that have worn and need to be replaced. Unfortunately repairs on older CRTs are expensive and the average cost for this type of repair is in the $200 range (and a brand new 32" LED TV can be purchased for about the same price - and would be money better spent).

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok thank you
Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

You're welcome and sorry for the bad news. The only other thing on a user level you can try is to leave the set unplugged for several hours or more in the hopes that it resets, but in most cases these older sets will ultimately require repairs.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 16 hours ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.