Martin, Technician
Experience:  Studied video technologies before university. I still fix TV's in spare time.
14666028

I accidentally clicked on the channel up button on my

Customer Question

I accidentally clicked on the channel up button on my universal remote for my Daewoo TV. Now, the remote doesn't work or the TV. How do I fix this?
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: It's a Daewoo 32" LCD, model DLA32L1.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No, the menu comes on but the source can't be changed because I don't have a way to hit enter and, like I said, the remote doesn't work with the TV.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: For 2 weeks. I hit the channel up button instead of the volume button. When I went to the buttons on the TV, I did something that caused the remote not to work.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is all. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  littlerusty2005 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** to Justanswer! Give me just a few minutes to look up some specifics, I'm working on this now.

What is the model number of the remote?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
RCR503BR RCA

Press the TV button on the top right of the remote. Does that now allow you to control the TV?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, since you know my model remote, then, I would think there is a photo online somewhere or the actual instruction page. As you see, the button is the code search button. You can't just hit that and it works. I have tried following the book but have not been able to save a number for using the remote with my TV.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Hi did you just try code search or did you also try direct code entry. For Daewoo for this remote i see 0451 and also 1661. Make sure you have fresh battery in the remote and that no sign of corrosion are on the contacts.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I tried both and nothing happened, so I did the search and still, nothing happened. When I bought the universal remote, I had the same problem. The young man who sold it to me, came to my house and got it working. On another occasion, I hit the wrong button, and my computer guy, who happened to be at my house for another problem, fixed it. He does not remember what he did. I have, manually, been able to change my TV from air to cable but that is it. I don't know if that's right since I use a router and wifi. Also, I can select HDM12, but not save it since I have no Enter on my TV. I don't know what else to do.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Do you still have the original remote around? if so does that one still work the TV fine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No; if it worked, I wouldn't have bought an universal remote.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Was just asking to be sure it was not an issue with the TV IR receiver. As you mentioned some got it to work it may be one of those factors:

Try to push a bit harder on the button, one of the contact needed to make the programmation of the remote may have a hard time (those can be cleaned a bit by rubbing a white paper on the conductive rubber behinds buttons).

You may not respect the timming of the remote (mentioned in the manual). You may push too fast or too late.

You may have infrared interference in the room. Look to not have too much sun and blocking the screen of the TV may help (not the sensor, just the screen as some leak IR). You may also have to get closer or farther from the TV when doing the code search.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When you write about cleaning the contact of the button, I didn't understand how you do that. My TV is next to a window, so I will close the curtain next time I try. There was only one place in the manual that mentioned a specific time, as far as I recall. Anyway, I will try some more after you go over the cleaning part again.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Yeah, the timming in the manual is about doing somthing within 4 sec. You probably did it right but i try to cover all possibility.

The cleaning part is the last hope and require to open the remote (that is rarely fun and require to find th hidden retaining clip and an additional screw may exist, in view or in the battery component or under a sticker, depend of the remote). Remote button degrade over time and there is a latex membrane (doing the spring) and a litttle black conductor for each button that sometime get dirty from dust and degraded latex particules. Pressing harder usually help until that no longer work either. You can test if all buttons work well with a digital camera screen. Those can see the infrared beem so if you look the beam trough a digital camera you should see a pulsating flashlight effect if you press a button and point it directly in the camera. If one button don't do it or very faintly compared to the others, that button have a problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, that trick with the camera showed that my Enter and Code Search buttons are not working. That explains why I can't do anything. Should I try to open the remote or just buy another? It seems to be very difficult to pry it open without breaking the plastic. And, the comment I made previously about my TV settings only able to show Cable or Air, is that all there is? Is one of those correct?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

It is indeed difficult to open remotes, even for me. Before detroying it i would check it on other TV or perhaps a VCR (some are more easy to programm than other) just to see if the button really are the problem. There is always the possibility that they are fine. The search button is normal to not give IR because it is an internal function of the remote that do not have to do with the TV. The Enter button have to do with the remote also but probably the TV as this is often what replace a "OK" or any acknoledge button to validate an entry, like "return" etc...

Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

It took me forever to find the manual for the TV. The original remote indeed have an OK, button, so an equivalent need to be on the universal remote and this would be the ENTER. If you have nothing to loose (not planing to use it ever again, you could try to open ith with flat screwdrivers (the trick is to push two clip on the same side so that top and bottom can separate, then the two other clip on the same side detach easily, but it might be 3).

Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

humm, the manual i have is for the DLX (perhaps the same thing in another country). In any case, the logitech harmony database does not recorgnize the model but mention support for a DLA-37L1, as the DLX manual cover the DLX37L1 also, all those "might use the same remote". It sure is an obscure TV and perhaps it only worked because in the code search one is borderline the same thing but not as such as being easy to detect it.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

To come back to the ENTER button, it is rare that such an unused button get damaged before one of the volume button (or another very used one).

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have another TV or a VCR. You have a good point about not having anything to lose with opening the remote. My computer guy tried to find info online for me and came to the conclusion that any Daewoo remote would work. Here, in Ecuador, it's not available unless I order online and the shipping might be outrageous. I'll try to open it for cleaning, but if it doesn't work, I'll buy a new one. Are there any brands that are better than others?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

These days, it is hard to say that any remote of a brand will work, as there is so much made in China branded with a known brand. As for the kind of remote to replace it, a Logitech Harmony is probably the best bet (and as logitech is a big company, you might be able to order one locally where TV are sold or also computer as they do many computer peripheral). They make some more fancy than other the the entry level is enough for a TV.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not hard to find universal remotes here. I have not been able to open the remote. There is only a thin line between the front and the back. Nothing to help pry it open with the screw driver or putty knife. Tomorrow, I'll get the new remote.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Ok, let me know how the new one fair. If you can look the booklet before buying to make sure it list DAWEOO it may prevent surprise. Even then we are never sure unless the remote company maintain an online per model compatibility database.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, I'm leaving for town soon. Wish me luck in finding a good one.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the new remote and it is another RCA because that's all they have. It's model number RCRH02BR. First of all, I have asked this twice before and gotten no answer: is my TV, with a router and wifi, supposed to be on Air or Cable? I think it's Air but I'm not sure. My manual is in Spanish. So far I haven't had any luck with the new remote but, maybe I have to do something to the TV first. Any clues?
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Too bad for the remote. At one point when TV get older, newer remote have even less chance to work because they eventually remove support for older TV to make space for new one (a stupid mentality because the lost remote are for old TV most of the time). The Logitech support lots of remote and don't drop any support.

As i mentioned at one point, it can always be the TV.

As for the router wifi thing, i did not see that question before. I have not the doc for that TV (it is another model?) . It should not matter i guess, air is input only and cable also.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This is the same TV that I haven't been able to watch since I hit the wrong button on the remote. So, are you saying that it doesn't matter which one it's on? I did manage to get the remote to turn the TV on and off but only when I click on TV on the remote. I have set my TV input to HDM2 for watching on my computer. Anyway, I'm still just getting snow in the background. By the way, when I did the test with the camera on all the buttons on the remote, they were all working. So, two problems: setting my TV so it's ready for watching and finding the right code for my remote. If I do the search for code, how long do I do it before giving up?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
First of all, I haven't gotten answers to the questions in my last response. Another question I have is that on the remote, there are the buttons for TV and Sat/Cable/DTC. Which button do I use for internet through a router and wifi? Please get me answers; my TV is out of use for more than a month.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

For the amount for the auto search, probably not more than 5 min. Note that it is possible that this remote do not cover all the function of the original one.

I don't know what you mean by wi-fi and router. Is this a "smart" tv that can go on the internet without a computer? (remember i only have the DLX manual, not the DLA.

About the TV button on the remote, yes the TV button need to be pressed to work with the TV (just once, unless you press the button for other device at one point, then you need to press the TV button on the remote again).

As for the snow, it depend, do you use cable or antenna?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The router is for getting internet/wifi on the TV, computers, etc. I do not have cable, but have an antenna for my router that was installed by my internet company. My DLX TV has outlets on the left side for input and output. The right side has the regular buttons. I have a wire that goes from HDMl2 to my PC tower so I can watch programs and movies from online on the TV screen. If you have the correct manual, it should show where everything is. So far, I have not been able to find a manual in English online.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

the DLX manual i have is also in Spanish. I see no ethernet port that said, only a USB one and this one is not for networking (usually to play media and perform firmware upgrade).

Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

If you don't have cable, you will need a Tv antenna for the TV.

Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

Then do a channel search. From the spec at the end of the manual it only do analog TV system, PAL and NTSC, not digital. This is the system for over the air digital in Ecuator (the japanese-Brazilian standard): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISDB-T_International

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
First of all, I do not need a separate antenna for my TV. I have been here almost 5 years and have always used a router for my TV and computers. Second of all, my manual shows exactly what I have described to you so, you must have the wrong manual. If you are not able to come up with some general info on how to set up a TV like mine, maybe someone else does. I appreciate your efforts, but I am still where I was when we started.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Why do I not have a new TV Tech like this green bar says? It's been saying that you are referring me to another person for two weeks now.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

I am a TV tech also, it is just that this model is not sold around where i live and i can't seem to find the right doc. Perhaps if you could take a digital pic of the pages of the manual that refer to the router i could see what is the problem. ALso, where and on what kind of cable does the TV hook to that router?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
You are totally confused. You do not need to see the router info. It has nothing to do with my problem. I want another technician. You don't seem to understand the problem at all, no matter how many times I tell you. As you can see, I am really upset about this service which, I think should have solved my problem by now. Get me another technician.
Expert:  Martin replied 1 month ago.

I will opt out as you wish, but remember that the initial question was about a remote problem that i gave you a brand of remote that support your TV. I was just doing extra taking another question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No you were not. My initial problem was not being able to see TV because I clicked the wrong button; that is TV and remote.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the new technician I am supposed to have?