Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

I get a message that says Smart Hub is being updated. Please

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: I get a message that says Smart Hub is being updated. Please try again later. But it doesn't seem to ever be updated.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the exact make and model of your machine?
Customer: It is a Samsung Smart TV, I think about 2 years old. About 50 inch screen.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV works fine except for the apps ... we also have Apple TV attached.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I've been trying to use a gift certificate we received for the Cineplexstore ... that's when the message shows up ... when I double click on the Cineplexstore app ...
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it ...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Can you give me the complete model of the tv, please?

Are you trying to use a cineplex app via the samsung smart hub, or the appletv?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nathan,
Sorry for not responding sooner ... I looked on the back of the TV and the model # is: UN50H5203AF ... we have Apple TV but we haven't been using it to reach the Cineplex app ... look forward to your response ... BTW, I noticed 2 charges on my Visa - $5 and $33 ... are these one time only charges, or monthly charges? If monthly I'd like to cancel after my first month ... Thanks.
***** *****(###) ###-####
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello Paul,

those are the fees you paid to the site (not to me) for this, when we're all done, click on Account at the top of this page and if you see Membership then you can click on that to cancel. If you don't see it then it is a one time fee, but you can send a note to customer service there as well to confirm.

Initially, can you please unplug power to the tv for a few minutes, then replug and let me know if you are able to access the hub or any of the apps (like netflix)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nathan,
I unplugged the TV and then plugged it back in, hit the Smart Hub button on the remote and got the screen with several apps appearing ... Cineplex was there so I selected it and hit okay ... a message came up saying "Smart Hub is being updated. Please try again later" ... I then tried the Netflix app and got the same message ... appreciate any advice you can provide ... thanks.
***** *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Lets try a different approach,

go into the samsung menu settings, and look there (under Support or About) for a Firmware Update option and it will check for and prompt a full system update.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Nathan,
I've tried to do a system update but the TV tells me there are no new updates for this TV ...Thanks.Paul
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

What does it show there as the current software version?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where do I see the current software version? ... the only message is that there are no new software updates ...
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

It should be under the Support or Diagnostics section of the samsung menu

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Software version is: T-NT14MAKUC-1129.7 ... Apps Version is: 6.1741 ... I found this info under Support/Contact Samsung ...
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for checking, you actually do have a later version already than what samsung has available for manual downloads, the likely reason being that there is a known glitch in the current version and they have not yet released a patch for it.

Next option here would be to go into the support or advanced section of the menu and choose the factory reset (restore defaults) option.

You'll have to reconnect to wifi after just as when the tv was new, but will hopefully get us past the current software loading error.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks very much Nathan ... I have to go out now but when I return I'll give it a try and let you know if it worked ...
Paul
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

No worries Paul, take your time.

Good luck!