Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech

My tv will not turn on using the remote. Which is the only

Customer Question

My tv will not turn on using the remote. Which is the only way to turn it on. The light comes on in the lower left hand of the screen and after two to four seconds goes back out.
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: The model is D500i-B1 and is 44 inches across or 53 on the diagonal. I am using the remote that came with the unit with new batteries....Vizio is the make.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The screen remains black. I can push the menu button or any other button on the remote, the tv doesn't respond.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: The building I live in had an old coax cable (built in 70's) which was replaced by a new cable that had to be fed thru the concrete wall thru the existing duct. They have checked and my new cable is providing the tv signal to the back of the screen. But I cannot, when pushing the power button, to get the screen to acknowledge it.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 10 days ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today

Please note that I am an independent audio/video tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.

That being said , a few questions coming up ;

Did it quit while watching it or simply would not come on today ?
Any electrical storm or power blackout in your area prior to this ?

Expert:  Jack replied 10 days ago.

Those vizio have a single button at the back of the tv`s lower left corner that can be used for power and input by the way

Expert:  Jack replied 10 days ago.

But if the tv responds to the remote by turning the power light on and off then it means the remote is not the problem and that button at the rear wont do any good either .

Send me a reply and i`ll have something for you to try

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No, the tv was left off for one week. No electrical storm or power blackout. Yes, I have tried pushing the one power button in the back. No Help there!
Expert:  Jack replied 10 days ago.

Didn`t expect that the button at the rear would do any good either

Here is something for you to try ;
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
Although i do not expect much out of this procedure , it has to be done to confirm that this problem can be cleared or not with a reset.
If that does not do it then we are looking at internal problems with the tv.

let me know how that goes.

Expert:  Jack replied 10 days ago.

Sorry but there was a payment failure on that phone request , although I`m not privy to billing here this usually means your CC company did not recognize the charges and declined them , you would have to contact them to OK the transaction .
But we can continue in this chat mode as well

Expert:  Jack replied 10 days ago.

I`ll send you the offer from my end , this usually works better .

Let me know how that reboot goes

Expert:  Jack replied 10 days ago.

In any case if that reboot did not do it then i have enough info for a diagnostic anyway and i can tell you that so far your main board looks fine if it still responds to the remote but the power supply circuit is not doing its job hence the power light going out again

If you are into this you can get that board at the link below for $65 , just click on it ;

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

So there you go , you have your answer whether the reboot did the trick or the tv needs repair

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do take the time to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
what you told me to do worked and my tv is now working again perfectly. Thank you very much. Roy
Expert:  Jack replied 9 days ago.