Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The Vizio light is flashing and there is no screen, its

Customer Question

The Vizio light is flashing and there is no screen, its black.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model MA70NV HDTV Smart TV about 5years old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The screen is black.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: I turned it on and it when black and the vizio light started flashing from yellow to white and back to yellow.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Does the set still have sound please?

Additionally, is that power light continuously flashing, or did it eventually change to Yellow and stay Yellow?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No sound and the light continues to flash. I have to unplug the TV for it to stop flashing
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. Does that light start flashing as soon as the TV is plugged in, or only after you press power?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
As soon as I plug it in it starts flashing
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Okay, this generally indicates a faulty Mainboard in the TV, however in some cases the SMPS (Power Supply Board) would be the root cause. I am going to give you a reboot to try - which is the ONLY thing on a user level you can do and beyond that the set does require component level testing and replacement to fix the issue (which is on average a $250 repair on this set - and typically NOT cost effective on a 5 year old Vizio).

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still the same
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Unfortunately that is all you can try on a user level, and this indicates the set has a fault either in the mainboard or the power supply board. There are no quick fixes for this and the set requires component level testing and replacement to fix it. The average cost for this repair on this set is in the $250 range, and given the availability of parts (parts are no longer made after around the 5 year mark), AND can be replaced with a brand new 39" LED for the same cost- this is not a cost effective repair.

I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for the help
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

You're welcome and best of luck. If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
N, good, thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.