Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech

Dark spots started at sides and are now stretching across

Customer Question

dark spots started at sides and are now stretching across screen from side to side. they are 1/4 from top to middle of tv. rest of pix is fine
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: vizio 56 inch 3 1/2 yrs old
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: all works fine and on all sources/inputs
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: about 2 weeks. at first just a*****on both sides and slowly started extending across and now all way across. not black just darker than rest of screen
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is all
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you today. To make sure I don’t miss anything, please give me a minute to review your question.

Expert:  Shahid replied 9 days ago.

Please note that I am an independent technician who depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website.
I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , these are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said please reply following info request to troubleshoot the issue.
1- Could you please get me the model number written on back of TV?
2- What video devices/ sources (such as cable box DVD player etc) are connected to TV and does the problem occur on all video input sources?
Thank you.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
TOOK awhiLE TO GET IT E4701-A0/dvd player / free tv video input. darkness is on all inputs tv dvd and netflix
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
no phone
Expert:  Shahid replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for the info.

There are two possible causes of this problem, either dust particles went between polarizers layers of LCD screen or polarizer sheets pasted on LCD screen have worn out for some reason and causing these dark spots. I'm sorry for this news and entire screen of TV will be replaced to resolve the problem. I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

If TV is out of warranty then LCD screen replacement would cost you good money like approx new TV price of same size so at this point you would be better off with a new TV instead of spending money and time on this TV repair. I'm sorry there is no easy or quick fix for this problem and it is definitely LCD screen failure that needs replacement to resolve the issue.
I trust my input will help you out to make decision about this TV repair or invest that money on new replacement TV.
If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.