Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Tv is a TC-P50v10. It was just working now it won't turn on

Customer Question

Tv is a TC-P50v10. It was just working now it won't turn on at all Blinks Red light three times and won't turn on
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 13 days ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, most often a faulty main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set is well past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components. However parts for this set are virtually impossible to find anymore, and even when you can expect a board to go for over $300.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $500 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 13 days ago.

Please reply to me here if you need more help rather than opening a new question.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Tv will not turn on just blinks red three times
Expert:  Nathan replied 13 days ago.

Yes I understand that. I sent you a detailed reply above explaining the problem, the root of which is a bad A board which will require replacing the tv.

Expert:  Nathan replied 9 days ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 7 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.