Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Have a hitachi55hdt79 no picture but have sound, model

have a hitachi55hdt79 no picture but have sound
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: model 55hdt79 hitachi built in 2007 hardly ever used
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: picture went out black screen yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty sustain board or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Regardless of actual usage levels, this tv is considerably past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this type/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $600 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.

Please reply back here on this page when ready.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.