Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a new 50 inch Vizio smart TV that I got through

Customer Question

I have a new 50 inch Vizio smart TV that I got through Direct TV's protection plan. I also have a new Linsys wireless router and a 35mps ISP. I keep hooking the TV up to the wireless and it will randomly drop the wireless sometimes it hooks back up by itself but most times I have to put in the permanent password ***** to get it to work. I would like to use Netflix but that's not going to work if it drops in mid show. How do I fix this
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I got it brand new in a box from Direct Tv I would guess in March of this year. Don't know the Model but if it is easy to locate without a lot of moving (I am 73) I would be happy to try to look for it.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I use the Direct TV remote right now since I can't use the smart TV part and everything works on that. I also have a desktop, laptop, 3 kindles and 2 smartphones (not all at the same time) hooked up to the new router with no problems at all
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been an issue for about a month. Before I got Netflix I did not hook the TV up to the router since it didn't seem necessary since I wasn't using it for internet stuff. So to be clear it has been an issue since I first hooked it up to the internet.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No except I love Vizio. I got the 50 inch because I already had a Vizio in my bedroom and love it. Oh don't know if it is important but my DVR is the Genie so I can play things I record on the 50 inch in my bedroom also
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 9 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. I need the full model number off the back of the Vizio.

Also, it's VERY common for a TV to lose connection- it takes MUCH more bandwidth for a TV to stream movies than it does to keep your Kindles and Smartphones connected (25 MBPS just to stream a movie as opposed to 5-12 required to keep your other devices connected).

Not all routers are created equal, I had to upgrade to a Netgear Nighthawk to keep my devices all connected securely, and then STILL had to purchase a Wi-Fi extender for the upstairs bedroom TV.

That being said, I would almost guarantee that the issue is two-fold:

1) The Vizio is requiring lots of bandwidth and the router is kicking it off the network.

2) Since the Vizio's Wi Fi receiver is not as strong as those of the other portable devices you could benefit from a Wi Fi access point.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 days ago.

If you have the budget for it, I would suggest the Wi-Fi access point at the link below (it is around $85). You can either use it to REPEAT the Wi Fi signal by locating halfway between the TV and the router, or you can run a Cat5 cable from the router to the access point and then put the access point closer to the TV:

Expert:  Aric replied 9 days ago.

Again, even though all of the other devices are staying connected, your new TV is eating lots of bandwidth. The router can only handle so much, and will "kick off" the device that is eating too much up at the time. This is common and par for the course when using a Wi Fi signal to feed multiple devices, or devices that are furthest from the router. The Access point, OR a more powerful router like the Nighthawk at the link below would be the ultimate solution aside from having to re-enter the info into the TV each time:

Expert:  Aric replied 9 days ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 days ago.

There really is no other way to strengthen the signal to the TV, and if it's continually losing connection, then it needs a stronger signal, or perhaps the TV is defective? I couldn't rule out the 2nd possibility without being there to test myself and check signal strength, etc. but there are no pushbutton fixes for this. The only thing you can try on a user level without buying additional equipment is to reset the TV to factory defaults and then setup the Wi Fi connection on the TV again in the hopes that it fixes the issue.

Expert:  Aric replied 9 days ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for-could you please kindly rate my service POSITIVELY (by clicking a 3-5 star rating at the top of the page) to reflect that? Thanks in advance.