Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

It will randomly give a black screen while watching Netflix

Customer Question

it will randomly give a black screen while watching Netflix in particular. its a phillips 47inch lcd tv made in 2008.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Philips is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: the audio will keep playing, just no visuals
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: the model is 47PFL3603D/27. it seems to be limited to Netflix as I tend to watch more Netflix than regular tv. but it has occurred a few times with regular (anentta) tv
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: it has been occurring the last day or two. a couple of times before it happens it seems to "simmer" or some inference before the visuals cut out.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: it seems to resolve by turning off the tv than turning back on, at least for awhile. but then a bit longer I will lose the visuals again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Hi , I`m Jack and I will be helping you today
Please note that I am an independent audio/video tech. that depends on your positive rating to get paid by this website and I have no control over the phone (or other) offers , they are sent by the website ,not by me but let me know if you`d rather do this on the phone.
That being said , a few questions coming up ;
Please let me know when you are ready to proceed .

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ready to proceed
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Be with you in a minute

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

With you now .

You were saying that this has happened on antenna as well so even though it may be more common on Netflix , this is not specifically a Netflix problem .

When this happens , Is the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its a complete black screen as if it was turned off, but you can still hear the audio of whatever show your watching.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then that would be your backlight inverter acting up .

How often does that happen , every hour , once or twice a day etc. ?

Did it seem to get worse since it first started ?

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Ever had this tv repaired for anything ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
last night it seemed to be occurring a couple of times during a show ( was watching undercover boss episodes on Netflix). so far today its only happened once so far tonight. as far as I know it hasn't been repaired. this is the first problem ive had with in the month ive had it. I had just gotten it, as a gift from a friend who was moving and had no room to fit it in their moving truck.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
how hard is it to replace the backlight inverter?
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

O.k then in the picture menu there is a function under ACTIVE control that lets your turn off the light sensor , that would be the first thing I would try and it may help as it controls the brightness depending on the room lighting and it may be going defective or it may simply help your backlight inverter board that would be the culprit here ,

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Just saw your last question ;

This is Plug&Play ,no solder or adjustments and if you or a friend is handy with a screwdriver and can remove the back cover then you can do this yourself, no special tools required.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

This board is out the way out I believe and it will get worse than this , let me see if I can find it for you

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Right now the link below appears to be the best deal for this board part #272217100571 (2300KEG033A-F) ;

http://www.tvparts4less.com/philips-272217100571-exchange-service/

You can also use this Philips 272217100571 if you`d like to do your own shopping.

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
www.tvrepairpros.com
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 8 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. thanks you so much. I really appreciate it.
Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Much welcome and please do not forget to rate (and SUBMIT) so i can get compensated for my time helping you.

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

If you cant find the rating system (stars at the top and SUBMIT ) then you can do it verbally here by saying like " I rate " excellent/good service

Expert:  Jack replied 1 month ago.

Any questions on this ?
Remember that you can come back here at any time after rating (no charge) if you have other questions related to that