Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

When I try to turn my TV on, the power LED light comes on

Customer Question

When I try to turn my TV on, the power LED light comes on and the hdmi appears at the top of the screen but then the screen fades and the power goes out. I have been able to turn the TV on using the NETFLIX button and it stays on but not with the cable remote or the original Vizio remote. I've tried the manual button on the TV itself but with no better results.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Can you please get the model number off of the back of the Vizio, and also tell me how long you've owned this set for?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Are you having website issues preventing you from replying?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm unsure why you're unable to reply, but the symptoms you have point to a faulty Mainboard in the Vizio (the component internally that processes the turn on/off commands, remote sensing and also your Apps like Netflix). This is a very common issue with Vizio sets, and generally requires replacement of that part to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (on the lower rear left hand corner of the TV- it's a square button), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I don't know what that number is, but it's not the model. A Vizio model would be something like C42-U1 or similar.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Please skip that part for now and read the answer I had posted just above your response.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

The symptoms you have point to a faulty Mainboard in the Vizio (the component internally that processes the turn on/off commands, remote sensing and also your Apps like Netflix). This is a very common issue with Vizio sets, and generally requires replacement of that part to fix the issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No good. Will have to try again later. Thank you.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay, sounds good.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Please keep in mind rating me does not close the question in any way- it simply ensures I am paid for my time spent trying to help you. You can follow up at any time at no additional cost.