Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I have a Hitachi tv model 42H508 serial #CH4HB27904 It has

Customer Question

I have a Hitachi tv model 42H508 serial #CH4HB27904 It has the worst possible problem. It periodically will not turn on. If you unplug it from the 110v for 60 seconds you can turn it back on. It may then turn off and on 3 or 4 times and quit. It doesn't turn off while it is on, it just won't turn on again. Then if you unplug it for 60 seconds and plug it back in it will again work 3 or 4 times then quit again. FYI I have the back panel off and have wiggled all of the cable connectors. this does not seem to have any effect.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 13 days ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having issues Paul. This is a frustrating problem. but fortunately not the worst we've seen and something we've repaired before many times. It's caused by a failing "Mainboard" in the TV. It's the only part in the set that can cause the set to cycle off and on on it's own before powering up and staying on.

Expert:  Aric replied 13 days ago.

This isn't caused by any loose cabling/connections inside of the set, it's caused by a faulty EEPROM (processor) on the mainboard and the solution is to replace the Mainboard, or the EEPROM (the mainboard is "plug and play" however the EEPROM is a multi-pin IC that requires excellent soldering skills to replace).

Expert:  Aric replied 13 days ago.

This model number is "fairly" recent however, so can you tell me roughly how long you've owned the set for please (under one year or over)?

Expert:  Aric replied 13 days ago.

If the set is over one year from the date of purchase, then the Mainboard, is commonly available at the link below for your TV, but is currently showing as out of stock:

Expert:  Aric replied 13 days ago.

In fact, that board is showing as "out of stock" through every vendor out there. The only solution to have this fixed, is to contact a shop and have them replace the EEPROM on the Mainboard - which is on average a $175 repair on ts set and a shop can be located at the link below:

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.