Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Un55b8500 samsung just clicks, 6 years old i think, no

Customer Question

un55b8500 samsung just clicks
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 6 years old i think
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no picture at all just clicking
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: been clicking for a while now never turns on
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: i saw an earlier thread. i removed the cable between the power supply and the mainboard. no more clicking, and NO change in the display
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2009 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this tv is well past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $500 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
im pretty savvy with a multimeter and such, already repaired my 50" samsung plasma. there was a thread here with a tech that seemed to have intimate knowledge of this model
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
i think his name is ***** *****
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Repairs are certainly possible, I'm just giving you some background info to get started.

The question though really comes down to whether it is even worth investing in or not, as even if you fix this issue it will not extend the life significantly, maybe another year or so if you're lucky, before other parts start to fail.

You would start by checking the output voltages against the marked values on the pins of the power supply. If any are low or missing then the PSU is replaced. If not (which I expect) then the main is replaced. This issue is more likely the main.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
when powered up, the pin for 12v shows 12v. but the 5.3v pins only show 1.5 volts
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Anything else?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
replace the p/s?
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Does that 5.3v pin spike at all, even briefly, when you press the power button?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Okay I would replace the PSU then, though it is a tough part to find new anymore, but you can get a refurb board here pretty reasonably: http://www.ptselectronicsinc.com/bn44-00307a/

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this? Were you able to get that board replaced?