Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

How do you get Netflix when you have direct TV

Customer Question

Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Hello, Patty.

This party depends on your equipment.
Do you know which model box you have? Do you have anything else connected to the tv?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

Okay, you will need some additional equipment.

The tv model you have is just a standard tv, it is not a "smart' model tv.

At this time directv does not offer netflix through any of their devices. Dish network does, and some cable companies do, but directv boxes do not support netflix.

One option would be to buy a new tv that is a smart model and has apps built in.

The alternative is that for $30-100 you can buy a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

Any of these devices would connect to the tv with a hdmi cable, link up to your home wifi network, and then give you access to netflix, hulu, amazon video, etc.

Of these I'd recommend the fire tv or roku device.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service as this is the only way I am credited for my time. Hopefully I have earned 5 Stars but if not please let me know what I can do to ensure you are satisfied. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Not worth the money
Expert:  Nathan replied 17 days ago.

I'm sorry I can't give you a more optimistic answer. What you are wanting is simply not possible with the devices you currently have, that is a limitation of your hardware.

I can't make your devices do something they weren't designed for and it is my obligation to give you an honest and accurate answer.

You can easily get netflix on your tv with a $30 roku or fire stick.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 11 days ago.

Do you need more help with this, Patty?