Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

We heard a pop and all the color left the TV. Now every

Customer Question

We heard a pop and all the color left the TV. Now every thing is Black and white
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Toshiba 50HM66
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes everything work the picture is just black and white
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 3 dAYS
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nO
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

Hello and sorry you're having problems.

That means your Color Wheel in the Toshiba (which is a DLP that uses a wheel that spins at high velocity to produce the color) has shattered and requires replacement.

Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

There are no pushbutton fixes for that, as it's a hardware failure. That being said, to have this done at a shop you're looking at around $300 parts and labor and a shop can be located at the link below:

Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

Alternatively if this is something you're looking to replace yourself, the color wheel can be purchased below for $100 and there are YouTube videos out there that show it's replacement, but keep in mind the TV must be disassembled to access the color wheel:

Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Please keep in mind rating me does not close the question in any way- it simply ensures I am paid for my time spent trying to help you. You can follow up at any time at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 20 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this please?