Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

We had a storm last night....after that the tv stopped

Customer Question

we had a storm last night....after that the tv stopped responding to the remote ...and the manual buttons as well....if you unplug it they work for just a bit then stop again.
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: Sharp Aquos....and both the universal and original are acting the same way
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no, like now ....my wife is playing a game on ps4, the tv is working fine we have sound and picture...but the volume won't turn down, the menu won't come up nothing if we unplug it ....then it will work for about 5 minutes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: there was a big storm last night....a lighting strike drew the entire lights in the house down, then they all came back up and right after that this happened.... I unplugged it for 2 hours thinking it might reset.....no luck
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: the picture and sound look just fine....only the "functions" don't work
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Can you get me the full model number off of the back of the Sharp?

Also, roughly how old is the TV?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
LC60LE660U
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
is that the number you were looking for?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for the reply. Offhand when this issue occurs after a storm, it indicates that the Mainboard of the TV has suffered damage, and this generally requires this part be replaced. There are no settings/adjustments, etc. since none of them can be accessed when the issue is occurring anyhow. So, that said, you will likely need to replace the Mainboard to fix this issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Are you still having the same problem?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
right now it's working, I will check it again in 5 minutes....as thats about how long it takes before it stops working again.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay, I can understand that. If the issue persists then the Mainboard in the set would indeed need to be replaced, which is part number Sharp DKEYMG460FM01 for this set. It's showing as currently out of stock, but you can put yourself on the waiting list at the site below if you want to repair the set yourself:

http://www.tvtechparts.com/DKEYMG460FM01-Sharp-main-board-for-LC-60LE660U_p_5591.html

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks...I will let you know in a couple more minutes.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Alright sounds good.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no...looks like I will need to replace it as it stopped working again...
thank you ...and thanks for the information.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Sorry to hear that, and yes it would indicate the Main has failed (this is the processor for all of the pushbutton and remote commands in the set).

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.