Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.

My tv samsung hlp6163w; the color was not correct, it had

Customer Question

my tv samsung hlp6163w; the color was not correct, it had been awhile since i changed lamp so i did that. the color is still not correct and now i get no response when trying to do any thing. no on/off , no volume i can only shut off by unplug. what do you think?
JA: How old is your Samsung, and have you tried unplugging it and leaving it off for a few hours?
Customer: the set is about 11-12 years old. the set was unplugged for 2 days before i changed the lamp about an hour ago.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: menu does not work. i can get no response from remote or push buttons on set.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: the color changes started on monday. i ordered new lamp assembly, replaced lamp hour ago and now no response and still bad color. nothing noticeably occurred before color issue.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

Did you use a genuine Samsung replacement lamp?

What happens if you swap the old lamp back in again?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The one lamp was Samsung one was generic. When I put the originsl lamp back in same problem. The originsl lamp was also a replacement lamp. I have changed lamp several times since I had set.
Expert:  Pete replied 18 days ago.

Ok, then I suspect this TV set has been on its way out for a while, and the power circuitry has suddenly failed around the time the lamp was changed.

A repair is likely to cost around $200-300, so you will need to consider whether it is worthwhile spending this much on a repair or if you would rather invest the money in a replacement. You can get a good large sized LCD flatscreen TV for around $300 today.

Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I had an additional ballast available, so I replaced it just now. The screen has no video but sound is good. The picture came on for about two minutes than went frozen pixelated black and white. The set then cycled on and off and again all three indicator lights are flashing. what else is there to change? I would rather keep this set because of where it is in custom built-in cabinetry. I read elsewhere that there was a known problem with these sets that caused cycling on/off. Are you aware of the part that repaired this issue?
Expert:  Pete replied 16 days ago.

As well as the ballast board, there is another power supply board which is suspect - this board is where the AC power supply connects into the TV set (board number BP94-02141A)