Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Mitsubishi WS65907 TV that was experiencing the

Customer Question

I have a Mitsubishi WS65907 TV that was experiencing the typical convergence problem when one day I heard a not too loud PsssssPop. Then the video was a dim gray and the audio faded to a quiet but varying him after a minute of so.
The error code is 1-2. When I change from one input to another, the screen turns blue (that's normal) and the mode indication (DVD, DTV, etc.) is displayed in curving triplicate (out of convergence). Also, when I try to display the Menu, it responds just like I have switched to another input, indicating to me that the Menu is nothing more than another input generated internally. I replaced the two ICs on the convergence board, but still have the same symptoms. I can take any measurement you may need, but at this point it would appear that there is a problem where ever the signal comes into the video and audio amplifiers. A VERY careful examination of the convergence board indicates no visually bad components. All fuses (6 on convergence board and three on P/S board) are intact. Convergence resistors are all measuring 3.9 Ohms. Do you think we can get this great old TV back up and running? It always had a GREAT picture without the delay/streaking from which the Plasma, LCD and LED model suffer.
Category: TV
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Pete. Welcome to JustAnswer! I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Error code 1-2 means "no error detected".

Given the age of the TV and the noise that you heard, I suspect that one of the electrolytic capacitors has outgassed, causing it to short out and is causing the display not to show. This fault may not be detectable by the TV's built-in fault indicator.

You will have to examine all electrolytic capacitors for any signs of swelling or venting, and replace any suspect ones.

Let me know how you get on.

--------------------
Your satisfaction is my priority;
Kindly take a moment to rate my service 5 stars at the top of your question page so I am rewarded for my time; tips appreciated :)
You can always reply back at any time if you need any further assistance at all.
Pete.
--------------------

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Pete, before I wrote in to JustAnswer, I already thoroughly checked for any damaged or questionable components. There are none and as I described in my question, the boards look to be pristine. as I wrote then, I suspect the HV is OK, as I do get a blue screen with the text indication of the respective input, DVD, DTV, Game, etc., in the upper left corner, although the convergence of the text is off. My suspicion is there may be a problem in the video board, because each and every video channel input produces the same result; dim gray screen, with the exception of the inputs that have a blue screen. So that you know I know what I am talking about, I am an electrical engineer that has worked in the aerospace industry for over 25 years, where we would, on many occasions, have to inspect boards for various problems. Do you have any direct experience with the Mitsubishi WS-65907 set? It has been a great TV until now. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can take any measurement you may need to see. I do not have a service manual.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

If there is no visual sign of damage on any of the boards then you will need to start by taking some measurements on the power supply board first. Check the voltage outputs against those shown in the service manual and let me know if the readings are close or if you get any bad readings: http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/V17_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf