Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert (field and bench) 9 approved qualifications in TV-ELECTRONICS
18621325

I have a magnavox dvr/dvd recorder that will not turn on. My

Customer Question

I have a magnavox dvr/dvd recorder that will not turn on. My power was shutdown for electic maitenancee. When restored all of my componebts came back on except the dvr. It will not power up, though it is getting power. Is there a reset or procedure to get it to power on?
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: The problem is with my Magnavox mdr515h/f7 hdd/dvd recorder, not my tv.
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Yesterday when power was restored to tat room, the dvr failed to come on when I pressed the on/standby button. I tried other working receptacles to no avail.
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I did test the fuse inside the dvr and it tested good.
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 2 months ago.

Hello

Welcome

Sorry you are having trouble here, is there any power-light lit or blinking please on the front of the unit?

Anthony

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I get no response at all.

In every case where their is no power light lit and you are sure their is power reaching the set (that also means taking the set to a known good wallsocket and bypassing any surge protector) the back of the set will need to come off (set unplugged from the wall)and some checks carried out using a meter (volt\amps\resistance)this is just to verify if the powerboard is bad, are you able to do that yourself?if so please let me know I will provide more details, the most likely suspect as it stands now is the powerboard itself.

Please let me know if you can do work or need more info

A positive rating of 3 to 5 stars is appreciated thank you

Regards

Anthony

In your case the top of the unit will need to come off and I am referring to the powersection of the dvr

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have had the unit open, but I really don't know what the power board is. Is there some instructions that I could get access to?

I will need the make and model of the unit please found on the back of the unit, the units age and cost new

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Magnavox hdd/DVD recorder , model mdr515h/f7. Sept 2010 approx $300 really guessing at the cost

OK you will need a volt-ohm meter you will need to be able to solder and replace small components within the power-section of the unit likelihood is that the bleed start up resistors for the chopper chip or IC are bad so unit then will be dead no power-light, there are no plug in boards here for power it has to be worked on I am afraid

Anthony

I am sorry this is not something easier for the units age maybe you should think about replacement ?I am here though should you wish to do the work

Let me know

please remember the rating so the site can credit me thank you

Anthony

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am afraid that is a bit beyond my knowledge of electronics. I was hoping for an easier fix.

I am sorry about that these units are actually more difficult to fix than a TV because of component level repair

Anthony

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Anthony, I'm rather disappointed in the support that I was given. Obviously, you are not familiar with that unit. I would prefer that your service not give a lot of technical advice when the actual solution (which I figured out myself) was as simple as a reset switch located on a main board easily accessible. So , I'm out of $27 for figuring it out myself.

You said there was no power-light on the front of the unit it was completely dead