Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a pioneer elite pro 1000 hd that has a color line

Customer Question

Hello, I have a pioneer elite pro 1000 hd that has a color line that runs vertically from the top down about six inches long and one inch wide, sometimes blue, sometimes green, sometimes yellow. It doesn't matter if it's the tv or dvd. It is not always there but most of the time it is. Can you help?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Pioneer is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I bought it new in 2003. Pioneer Elite Pro 1000 HD Plasma
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The menu works and same problem on all inputs
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has been about six months, it just started happening one day.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing I can think of.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Can you please let me know, when you pull up MENU does that line appear over or behind the MENU?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

The reason I'm asking is that the line generated over all inputs is a hardware issue in the Pioneer. To narrow down where in the set it's being generated, we need to know if the line appears over the menu or behind the menu. Are you able to get this information?

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry I was trying to see where it was . It's over the menu
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately the line appearing over the MENU, as well as over the inputs, indicates this is a failure occurring in the Plasma display processing of the set. There are no pushbutton fixes or settings that will help - since the native MENU is designed to always display free from defect. The line is typically caused by a failing sustain/buffer board, or in some cases an out of spec power supply output voltage in the TV.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set displays normally - without the line. Try this procedure up to 2 times, and please let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK,I'll try it.
Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

That sounds good. If the issue goes beyond that, then this does indicate a hardware fault occurring in the TV. This problem can happen due to several things. The power supply is a common cause of this problem. This typically will cost you $300-$350 to have repaired.

The other very common issues, are problems with the Sustain boards failing. They are responsible processing the Plasma display and are common failures for this type of TV. The average cost for this type of repair is around $500 parts and labor.
Given that a brand new 50" LED TV can be purchased for about the same cost as repairing this set, it may make more sense to put that same money towards replacement of the set- versus repairs.
However if you would like to inquire about repairs, or seek a 2nd opinion, you can use the link below to locate a shop in your area if you'd like:

http://www.tvrepairpros.com

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.

Expert:  Aric replied 4 months ago.

Do you need further help with this?