Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I am not getting any sound from my tv, Vizio vo320e, No menu

Customer Question

I am not getting any sound from my tv
JA: What's the make and model of your tv? Have you had any issues with the sound before?
Customer: Vizio vo320e
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: No menu works I think but let me go check for sure
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Yes menu works. I was trying to watch a dvd and a box showed up asking me about widgets or settings and since it was about 1/4 the size of my tv I tried to get rid of the box by turning off the tv. In doing so I lost all volume. and since I couldn't get ride of the box by answering the questions I played around a little with the 3 remote controls
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have already spoken to frontier and he reset my box.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. The reset I am going to give you is a LITTLE bit different than the Frontier reset (although some of the steps are the same)

Please follow the steps below:
1) Shut the TV off, and then disconnect the cable/SAT box AND the TV from power (unplug their power cords).
2) If using an HDMI cable, disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable on both ends when the cable box is unplugged from power (make sure it's secure on both ends).
3) Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 full seconds while the set is unplugged, then release the power button.
4) Plug the cable box AND the TV back into power, then turn the TV on and attempt to watch a program.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

This should restore the sound. However if it does not, then please try another source- such as a DVD player on the TV and see if that has sound. This tells us whether or not the TV, or the cable/SAT box itself is causing the problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Were you able to perform those steps and is the TV back up yet please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I don't know if you're still online or why you're not able to reply, but if you still have the same issue then this indicates a failure in the Vizio's "Mainboard" - which is the component that processes all of the sound, and also gave you that pop-up that was the catalyst to this problem to begin with. In that case, the mainboard needs to be replaced and if you're a DIY type you can purchase and replace the board for your set at the link below for $30:

http://www.tvpartsguy.com/products/vizio-vo320e-main-board-3632-0842-0150-0171-2271-2846.html?utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_source=bc&gclid=CjwKEAjwps2_BRC5jduHor-h8xESJADGT-Lt26TtnQh5MOG8dlHBPJGasoaxGcPIRchZvyYAtFEXpxoCt0Xw_wcB

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge close to $200 parts and labor to replace this board, which is generally not cost effective since a brand new 39" Vizio starts at just over that amount.

Other than what's posted above, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Aric. . I cannot find the power button on my. Visio. Do you know where it is?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Side of the TV top button.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I have to pay the $35? I am beginning to deflate ripped off. Do you know where power buttons are?
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you able to read my replies? I posted they are on the SIDE OF THE TV. Along with many other specifics about the set.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Mine is not on side
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

If you scroll up the page you'll see quite a few replies from me here, also outlining what's wrong with the set if the reset does NOT work, along with how to fix it yourself. I'm not sure how that is ripping you off, but you paid the SITE a deposit and I have not been paid anything at all to this point. So please understand I am giving you all of the information I can.

Yes your buttons are on the side of the TV. If you don't take my word for it then click the link below ffor your manual and scroll to page 10:

http://www.hdtvreview.com/pdf/vizio-vo320e-manual.pdf

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Page 10 of the manual shows the buttons are on the SIDE of the TV. That is the model number TV that you gave me.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I see now. Thank you. Let me try again
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome and that sounds good. Let me know what happens please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sound through DVD
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

I'm sorry to hear that, and unfortunately this indicates a failure in the Vizio's "Mainboard" - which is the component that processes all of the sound, and also gave you that pop-up that was the catalyst to this problem to begin with. In that case, the mainboard needs to be replaced and if you're a DIY type you can purchase and replace the board for your set at the link below for $30:

Alternatively if this is not something you're comfortable with, then a shop will typically charge close to $200 parts and labor to replace this board, which is generally not cost effective since a brand new 39" Vizio starts at just over that amount. Other than what's posted above, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix. Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

There aren't any puhsbutton fixes for this, and it's a fault we see commonly with these sets once they get a few years old. That board I posted above is "plug and play" - meaning no soldering or special tools are needed to replace it. However the back of the TV must be removed to access it.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this question please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This did not help. The audio Does not work still
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Good luck, I have provided everything here. I will opt out now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I try to bypass DVD?