Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

60" flat screen has grey ghosts over the picture on each

Customer Question

60 " flat screen has grey ghosts over the picture on each side of the screen. How do I remove them ?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Offhand, "ghosting" is not something that can be removed via any settings. It generally indicates a fault in the signal or the processing of the TV. I need to know the following to help here:

1) What is connected to the set (cable/SAT box, DVD, etc.)?

2) What sources display the "ghosting"?

3) When did this issue occur?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I'm not sure if you're having problems replying? Please don't try to reply to the e-mail the site sends you. Instead use the link to get to the site page and reply here.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I'm here to assist you now, but if you're unable to engage at this time, then simply reply back when you are able. I will respond when available.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The connection is Direct TV
All Satellite programs create the ghosting grey bands on each side
DVD plays full screen
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Okay, let's back up. "Ghosting" is a blurred image that trails the original image. You're referring to BARS on the sides of the screen correct?

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Also since your DVD plays "full screen" (I'm assuming you mean without the "ghosting" issue you referred to), then the problem has nothing to do with your TV at all - it's your DirecTv box.

First, reboot the Cable/SAT box by disconnecting it from power for 10 seconds and plugging it back in. Upon rebooting, if the screen aspect is still incorrect, then look for the following buttons on the Cable/SAT remote:

Aspect
Zoom
HD Zoom
Ratio
(#) symbol under the 9 key

Find any buttons with those labels and use them to attempt to correct the picture size. If you are unable to find those buttons, or they don't help, then the settings are hidden deeper in the DTV Box and I will need the BRAND and MODEL of the DTV box.
If you need further assistance let me know. Before you go, PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of your screen. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't know how to describe them. The picture is full screen but about 4" on each side have a grey transparent band over the picture. You can see the images and they are not distorted.
Direct TV sent a new box and card and transformer cord but it did not correct the problem
All other TV's in the house, one is a 65", work fine
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Your other TV's have nothing to do with this TV. You said your DVD plays perfectly fine correct?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
DVD plays full screen
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

What Input on the TV is the DirecTv box plugged into? Is it one of the HDMI ports? If so, have you tried a NEW HDMI CABLE, and also tried one of the other ports to see if the issue goes away?

AGAIN, your TV does not know the difference between a DirecTv box, a VCR, A PS3, or a DVD player. It simply takes the signal it is fed and displays it. So, IF your TV were the problem, your DVD player image would also display the same symptoms. Do you follow me here?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We are looking in our cables for a new one. If not, what do we need to buy?
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I would have no way of knowing how you currently have the box connected to the TV. It could be coaxial, AV cables, component video, or HDMI. Any of those are connections used - it depends on the Brand and Model of the DirecTv box (which is why I requested that information previously).

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We have HDMI and we have only one port
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Then try a new HDMI cable in that port. If the issue goes beyond that then it indicates a fault in the set's HDMI processing, which there are no pushbutton fixes for. It would require an alternative means of connection (such as "component video cables"), or the TV's "Mainboard" would need to be replaced, and that is on average a $350 repair on this set unfortunately.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The box is Direct TV
12 volt input
Model HR44-700
FCC ID PGRHR44
Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

The box info was only needed to determine what type of connection - you said it was HDMI.

Try a new HDMI cable in that port. If the issue goes beyond that then it indicates a fault in the set's HDMI processing, which there are no pushbutton fixes for. It would require an alternative means of connection (such as "component video cables"), or the TV's "Mainboard" would need to be replaced, and that is on average a $350 repair on this set unfortunately.

Expert:  Aric replied 5 months ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.