Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Sylvania ssc130b tv-vcr combo tape will not eject. will not

Customer Question

sylvania ssc130b tv-vcr combo tape will not eject. will not play rewind tv combo turns itself off few seconds after i press power switch to turn it on
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sylvania is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: manufactured 2001 model ssc130b
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: same problem cuts itself off before you can do anything
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: i have used this very little but there was a tape in it and it ejected with no problem i put in another tape and rewound it then pushed play and it cut off i then powered back on and tried to eject tape and that is when it started cutting itself off
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

So it won't turn on even just to watch tv instead of the tape?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Comes only for only few seconds
Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for confirming,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, often a faulty power supply or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2001 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. Even for a CRT type set this tv is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $100 range. However it will not have the vcr function as those haven't been made for many years now, but you can get one with a built in dvd player.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Thanks for nothing
Expert:  Nathan replied 19 days ago.

I gave you the reset steps, unfortunately that is the limit of what can be done online. Beyond that it is a hardware issue that would require repair or replacement, though again for a 15 year old tv that is not at all unusual.

I can troubleshoot, attempt to reset, diagnose the problem, and give you practical advise for how to proceed, such as replacements but it isn't possible to fix this type of tv at this point, there simply aren't even parts available. For comparison purposes, if you took it to a repair shop, they'd charge you $125 diagnostic fee for the exact same answer.

I recommend sticking to the name brands, which tend to be the most reliable, such as Panasonic, Samsung, LG. The “off brand” sets just aren’t worth the savings, they have high failure rates and are poorly supported if parts/repairs are ever needed. Example:

Unfortunately there aren't any "good" brands in the smaller size range, but if you need 13" or need a built in dvd:

If you happen to be a costco member (or know someone who is) I'd suggest buying it there. They tend to have very good pricing to begin with, but will also double the factory warranty to 2 years instead of 1, and they have a square trade extended warranty you can buy up to an extra 5 years for $50 or so which is well worth it. Wherever you buy, I'd highly recommend the square trade warranty (the "store brand" warranties aren't worth the paper they’re printed on). You can get that here, no matter where you buy the tv:

As a side note, I would not personally bother with a "smart" tv. You'll pay a premium for those features which end up being slow and glitchy and aren't well supported. By contrast you can spend $30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help, which jeopardizes my livelihood and is held against my professional reputation as a tech because of the 15 year old tv failing.

Expert:  Nathan replied 15 days ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 12 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.