Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

My Sharp TV will only show 420 I have DirecTV and it comes

Customer Question

My Sharp TV will only show 420 I have DirecTV and it comes on fine it also has a blue screen
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Sharp is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 6 years old when I play my Sony DVD it comes on in 1080
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Just now
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: All of the TVs work with DirecTV
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 25 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 25 days ago.

Your TV's resolution is "dictated" by the source device you're watching. So, when you have 1080 when watching a DVD, it's because the DVD is sending a 1080 picture to the set. When you have 480 (which is what I think you meant since 420 is not a resolution), it's because the DirecTv box is only SENDING a 480 resolution signal to the TV. Also keep in mind this TV's box has nothing to do with the other TV's.

Usually this can be fixed by rebooting the DirecTv box that is specifically feeding this TV. To do this, shut the TV off, then pull the power cord from the DTV box from the wall (unplug it's power cord).

Wait 10 seconds and plug the cord back in. Give the box a few to reboot and then turn the TV on (and if necessary, switch the Input over to DirecTv). This should clear the resolution mismatch and give you your HD resolution again.

However if it does not, then you're looking at an issue with this particular box and specifically that it is no longer outputting in HD (1080) like it should.

Expert:  Aric replied 25 days ago.

In that case, you would contact DirecTv and have them swap out the box as it's their equipment and they are responsible for it operating properly.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Please keep in mind rating me does not close the question in any way- it simply ensures I am paid for my time spent trying to help you. You can follow up at any time at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 25 days ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 25 days ago.

I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.