Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Im trying to connect my Samsung TV optical audio to my

Customer Question

Im trying to connect my Samsung TV optical audio to my Yamaha receiver with no luck
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: Samsung UN48J5200AF
JA: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I plug the cable into the television and into the receiver I set the receiver to DTV input
JA: Anything else you want the electronics expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Do you have sound through the TV speakers right now, or no sound at all?

Also, what's the model of the Yamaha?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Yamaha HTR 5730 and the sound is coming through the TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay then first you need to go into your Samsung's MENU and under audio/sound you need to shut the TV's speakers off, or select any option that does not include TV speakers. This needs to be done to turn the optical port on. Try that and let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok that is done
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay, and?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Is the Yamaha set to the correct optical port that you've plugged into? Is the volume turned up on the Yamaha?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no sound out of the tv
speakers now
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the cable is plugged into the DTV optical port
and I have set the input to DTV/CABLE
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Something's wrong then. What is connected to the TV for sources - is there a cable box please? If so check the back of the cable box for an optical jack and plug the cable into that so the optical is from cable box to Yamaha. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I plugged it into the cable box and went into Comcast settings and changed the audio from stereo to surround and still no sound
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Then you have an issue with your optical cable or your Yamaha then. Is this receiver brand new? Also if you select another source on the receiver like the FM tuner is there sound then?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I get sound from the tuner
and it is a brand new cable
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The receiver is older but the optical light is on behind the receiver
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

It doesn't matter if it's a brand new cable or not. Right now you have an issue with either the cable or the receiver. Let's try this since the optical is assignable in the Yamaha, try selecting ALL of the different input sources (CD, etc. etc. etc. ) instead of just DBS. Let's see if any of them activate the optical port.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
what do you mean activate the port?
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

All I'm saying is this: Try selecting EACH and every one of the different Inputs using the buttons on the Yamaha and see if any of them give you sound.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I get sound out of the Tuner and CD port which I am using for a Turntable
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When I choose the DTV/CBL for DTS I get three options on the Yamaha. DTS analog, DTS and Auto when I change the input mode. I dont know what this means but it changes the display to say STEREO
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The TV is not allowing me the option of choosing receive as the TV sound output.