Shahid
Shahid, Technician
Experience:  I have been repairing electronic gear since 1993 as a qualified Sony tech
33243543

Sony KDL-46S4100 No Power but i here a click on the PSU when

Customer Question

Sony KDL-46S4100 No Power but i here a click on the PSU when i press the power button
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Please elaborate "no power". Are you saying there's no power light lit at all? Or are you saying you used a multi-meter and measured all of the voltage test points on the TV's power board? Or that you have the power light and the set simply will not turn on? Please elaborate with details.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
There are no lights at all when i press the power button. I did not test with voltages. I did notice the power switch cable is connected to the main board and then routed to the power supply. I here the PSB click when i press the power button but no lights at all.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Yes the mainboard provides the turn on command to the power supply board. So right now you have either a faulty Main, or a faulty Power Board. In order to isolate it further you need a meter and to test the voltages stamped on the outputs of the power board to see if the standby voltage is present. Is that something you are able to do?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Expert:  Aric replied 7 months ago.

Okay then you will want to go ahead and test the voltages stamped on the outputs of the power board and let me know what you get.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok hold on
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
first connector:
15,15, 0, 7,0,4,4,4,0,0,0,12, 0
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hmm.. i noticed the tv backlight was on and now the is working. I did reseat all the cables, could that have broken a short or something. THe screen fades gray and back to good color now. Tcon Board?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Ok Now i removed power from the unit. Waited a minute. and i reseated power but the set doesnt come on
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

Hello, I'm Shahid. Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help.

It seems the TV firmware (internal software) was got some problem and unplugging the TV power cord from wall outlet cleared the error for a while and your got picture on TV but rebooting the TV again caused the same error in firmware, mostly this kind of problem happens due to failing EEPROM chip located on main board of TV, unfortunately this chip ins't available individually so have to replace entire main board of TV to fix the problem.

typing more info...

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok just a little furthur investigating. if i hold the power button for about 10 or so seconds it turns on. if i only press the power button and immediately let it go it does not power on. Is there supposed to be a delay on these units
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

There are two type of main board utilized in this model and the part numbers are as follows..

1-857-092-41 and 1-857-092-21, both are compatible and 1-857-092-11 will also work. Since TV is bit old model so it could be hard to get replacement main board or price would be high so at that point you would be better off with a new TV instead of spending money and time on this old TV.

There should not be any delay in powering up the TV as it should turn On when press power button as you do on other TVs, as I explained in my previous reply, it is firmware glitch that occurs due to failing EEPROM chip that stores all the data of firmware and main board replacement is only option here to fix the problem.

If you are not comfortable working on it yourself then you may please use following link to get list of TV repair shops in area which will help to get repair quote...
http://www.tvrepairpros.com/
I hope these info will help. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Shahid replied 7 months ago.

You're welcome. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. If you're satisfied, please rate me a 5-star at the top of your page.
Thank you.