Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I put a DVD in and it says no disc when its a DVD in there

Customer Question

I put a DVD in and it says no disc when its a DVD in there it was working fine yesterday but now its not working I don't know what's going on
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Model # LED22B45RQD && August 2013
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the TV menu works, no just the DVD screen
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Started yesterday, and I had watched a regular movie then cut my TV off and tried to watch another movie and every movie I had put in it said no disc
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. Please note it can take me a few minutes between replies, so please be patient.

Also: If you receive a phone call offer, that is not sent by me - it is sent by the site without my knowledge. I am not available by phone, so please keep in mind I will be engaging you on this page.

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

This generally points to a hardware failure that's occurred in the DVD unit (we often see sets with build in DVD players have premature failures in the player).

However it's worth trying a basic reset and also a cleaning to see if that helps.

1) Shut the set off and unplug it from power. Press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote) for 10 seconds and release. Then wait a full minute plug it back in, turn it on and attempt to use the DVD player.

2) If that does not work, then a cleaning would need to be tried. To do this you can either purchase a DVD Laser Lens cleaning disc (available at Radio Shack, Staples or Wal-Mart for around $10) and attempt to run it through the player several times.

3) Or, purchase a can of compressed air and liberally blow the spray tip of the can in the disc slot to remove any dust or debris.

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

Beyond those steps this would indicate a failure of the player that requires service (replacement of the internal drive) and this is commonly a $150 repair on this set, which is not cost effective on a 22" LCD screen. Alternatively it would be money better spent to purchase an external player for around $25 at Wal-Mart and simply connect it to the set using the AV jacks. One that would work is available at the link below:

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

Other than that I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

Let me know if you need further help. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.