Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

It is not my laptop, it is my TV. Everything is locked and

Customer Question

It is not my laptop, it is my TV. Everything is locked and we can't figure out how to unlock them.
JA: Just to clarify, what's the make and model of your laptop, and what operating system are you running?
Customer: It is not a laptop is a TV 37av502u
JA: Have you installed any updates recently? What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: No, I think we just pushed a wrong button on the menu imput area.
JA: Anything else you want the computer expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes, it is a TV not a computer. I don't see anywhere else to ask about a TV.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Can you tell me what specifically is locked? What exactly do you see on the screen?
Is it asking for a pin or code?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
All programs are locked except cable and it will not let us get to HP1. We can't do anything.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
we can't get to the screen to put in the code
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Do you mean hdmi1?
Are you using a cable BOX?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The TV has a cable box HD1. The cable is working, it is the TV itself that is locked. We have contacted the cable company and all is well. We have looked at the manual and is says the audio is connected to the lock feature. When we use menu and imput the first item is AM something and it is red. The rest of the selections, video 1 video 2 HM1 and HM2 are labeled locked and it will not let us navigate to them to change them.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
I mean HM1, another senior moment.
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Okay thank you for clarifying,

if you go into the MENU, do you see a function there that says Parental Controls?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
No at this point. It now is asking for the pin number but it will not let us put anything in.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
The TV is downstairs and I am upstairs which is why there may be a delay in responses; also I will lose about 5 pounds, that is a good thing. We cannot get into the menu.
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

That is fine, take your time.

You need to be using the toshiba tv remote for this, and it should let you enter the pin using the digits on the toshiba tv remote, try putting in 0000 please.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
AT the top of the box on the left side is locked on the right side is says active and it will not let us put in 0000 either.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Are you still there. We still cannot get it to take any impute everything is still locked.
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Yes I am here, your reply just now came through.

Please tell me everything exactly as you see it on screen.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
There is a box. At the top on the left side is says Locks on the right side it says Active. There are four boxes for numbers. We have put in 0000 and pin, asteroids show up in the boxes. There are two boxes under the these. One says done and the other says cancel. The bottom is a tool bar that the regular options of navigate etc.
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Is this service charged by the hour? I have waited a very long time for an answer.
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

No there is no time charge and I apologize for the delay, there seems to be a site issue and your message just popped up. I'm replying as soon as I see them.

Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

I need to have you test something, please.

With these other lock items showing on screen, Unplug the power cord to the cable box, and let me know if the lock message stays in place, please.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks for your reply, I was ready to bail.
I just unplugged the cable box and the same screen came on. We put in the oooo and the pin and it still will not let us move to either cancel or done.
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Try using the volume and channel buttons on the side of the tv to see if it will let you navigate that way.

If no change, I want to have you try a different reset process next:

1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
OK, we can do this. If this does not work how do we get back to you or do we get back to you. How is this service charged to our card and how much will it be. If it does not work do we still pay?
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
We did bring up the box with the items that are locked and unplugged the cable, no luck. We will try the other.
Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Hi Edera,

You can bookmark/favorite this page to get back to me whenever you're ready.

You paid your fee to the site (not to me), which is a fixed amount based on what you agreed to on the payment page.

I would expect to be credited for my time efforts and diagnostics in the end, it is possible it won't work but I will go through everything possible to troubleshoot and diagnose this issue for you.

Let me know when you are done what the results are and we'll take it from there.

Expert:  Nathan replied 23 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?

If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.