How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jack Your Own Question
Jack, Technician
Category: TV
Satisfied Customers: 8134
Experience:  40 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
Type Your TV Question Here...
Jack is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Llight blinks but set will not turn on, samsung tv will not

Customer Question

white llight blinks but set will not turn on
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: samsung tv will not turn on, bought it about 2009
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: tv menu does not work because i can not turn the tv on!
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: had a very nearby lightning strike
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: wish i could find the tv model number and serial number
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 30 days ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , I will be helping you today
Can you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?
Note that I need time to type and research for parts and info if needed so don't be surprised if there are delays between replies
Also ,Can you please give me the tv`s model number written on the back cover ?

Expert:  Jack replied 30 days ago.

Never mind the model number for now,here is something for you to try ;
Unplug the TV's power cord and hold the power button directly on the tv ,keep holding it for 20 secs or so then let the tv sit unplugged for a couple of minutes before you try it again.
Although i do not expect much out of this procedure , it has to be done to confirm that this problem can be cleared or not with a reset.
If that does not do it then we are looking at internal problems with the tv.

let me know how that goes.

Expert:  Jack replied 30 days ago.

Just caught your LN46B750U1F model number for this 2009 tv from your duplicate post and looked up parts for it .

In case on a failure like yours caused by a lightning strike , I give this an 80% change the main board that cost $130 is the culprit and the other 20% to the $70 power supply circuit .

This would require some voltage testing with a meter to point out the culprit with 100% certainty .

If you are into repairing this yourself then let me know and I`ll help you along with parts and info

If that is not your cup of tea so to speak then to have this repaired at home could cost you around $250 to $300 parts included and perhaps $50 less if you take it to the shop yourself .

If you need to find repair shops near you then look at the link below and enter your zip code ;
This will give you a list of NESDA member repair shops in your area.
This list may be limited though and you may find more by simply using the yellow pages or simply google "tv repairs" and the name of your town .
You could give a call to different shops in your area to get an idea of their rates , it pays to shop around .

but if i may be frank , considering the age of the tv at 7 years old and the fact that you can get a new 50" tv with all the bells and whistles for around or less than $500 ,I would think twice before investing that kind of money into this one.

I think your money would be better invested in a new tv .

Let me know if you have other questions and if not then please do not forget to rate by clicking on the star icons at the top, then click on Submit so i get paid for my time helping you .
Also note that it will not close this post , you can come back here at any time if you need further info or help .
Thank you