Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I'm trying to resolve my wifes frustration with our cable

Customer Question

I'm trying to resolve my wifes frustration with our cable company's tivo and netflix interrupts and want to find a way to adapt my TV that isn't SmartTV now to become internet and stream capable
JA: What is the exact make and model of your tv? And how long has this been an issue?
Customer: There are 2 one is a Sylvania and the other is a RCA
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: both hdmi capable but not set up internally receiver wise for tcpip/internet
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: According to the cable company there are known issues with them and their Tivo boxes and Netflix, that has been gradually become more frequent interrupts in the streaming.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: That pretty much is the core except I'm hoping to get a description of what a good adapter is for the streaming there seem to be various Google results for different adapters
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

There are many options on the market, and while replacing your sets with a smart tv model is one option, that is not necessary.

For about $30-100 on a roku, roku4k, fire tv, htpc or smart bluray player and get all the same functions and many more, with better performance and lower cost.

Of these options, I'd recommend the fire tv, in either box or stick form most highly, followed by the roku.

If you'd like to discuss specifics on any of these, let me know. Either will ably handle netflix, hulu, amazon video, youtube, etc.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nathan Fire TV is it similar to Chrome Cast? I've had innumerable wifi issues with signal integrity from the cable's router to the Chromecast to our living room only about 20 feet away.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Similar, but much better.

Chromecast is very limited in scope, and costs only a tiny bit less.

Chromecast is actually a way to stream through a phone/tablet, and only controlled via a phone or tablet.

The fire and roku have their own remote control and are controlled that way, with their own direct internet connection, they don't rely on external devices to work.

If all you cared about was seeing some photos/video off your phone on the tv then the chromecast would be just the ticket, but for only about $5 more you'd be far happier with the much broader capabilities of the fire stick

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

If the modem is in the same room, I'd actually recommend using a fire box (costs about twice as much though) so you can use a wired ethernet connection. Otherwise, you may want to get your own router to use instead of the cable companies, or supplement it with a booster or amplifier. I can recommend some of those if you'd like as well.

Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 26 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.