Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I was just here with you a few minutes ago and exited the

Customer Question

hey I was just here with you a few minutes ago and exited the payment page on accident. so how much does the answer cost overall?
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box.
Customer: where do i go if i minimize you?
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: same 6 year old tv. Sharp liquid crystal tv model lc-20sh3u
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: 1 input i can't tell because my DVD player cord is broken and plays movies in black and white. other input is just to white noise. so this is the only I can use
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: turned the tv on to my favorite show and it almost immediately went dark (7:45pm today). since that, it's been dark then black then dark every few minutes. you didn't answer my first question though
JA: I apologize.
Customer: if i could find someone to help answer my question what is the final cost for an answer?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the TV Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: how much is "the rest"?
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: how much is "the rest"?
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

What input are you using on the tv currently?
Antenna, cable/satellite, etc?

To clarify, does the sharp menu screen always appear correctly with no dimming or discoloration?

Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

Please type in the text box and press the reply button to respond back to me here.

If you are more comfortable talking by phone we can do that as well.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Input 2, cable, and if I hit menu or anything the letters for the changes come up. Lighting set to normal. Still either so dark I can hardly see or black like the screen isn't on.
Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply, backlight inverter, or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2007 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set is significantly (by about double) past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $150 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 27 days ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 25 days ago.

Do you need more help with this?
If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.