Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

I inadvertently pressed some button that seemed to mute the

Customer Question

Hello, I inadvertently pressed some button that seemed to mute the sound. I did not push the "mute" button. Rather, I must have hit something that produced an image similar to the mute speaker with an X, but it appeared briefly in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Thus far I have attempted to reset the default settings and unplugged the TV from the power source. Nothing is working.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is a Panasonic Viera 55". I purchased it about four years ago.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Everything appears to be working properly. I am not sure what you mean by the sources/inputs.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: This just happened about an hour ago. I think I just pushed some button on the remote to trigger this but, can't figure out what. Has never happened before.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If the 'muted' speaker icon appeared at the upper right of the screen, then try this:

Unplug the set-top box, or the cable TV box.

Leave it unplugged for at least 2 minutes.

See if, when plugged in again, the sound now works OK.

Let me know whether that advice helps with this problem, by the Reply To Expert function, please. Thanks.