Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.
59725966

Power will not come on...lightening struck house next door

Customer Question

Power will not come on...lightening struck house next door last night...the surge protector is fine all other plugged up stuff is fine but TV wont come on
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 3 years...sharp 70 inch aquos
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TV wont power on at all
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Lighting struck house accross the street at 12:30 am...got up at 7.TV won't power on..everything else plugged into the same power strip works
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Can you give me the complete model number of the tv, please?

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?

If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
After I paid it I got caught up in a loop... so I just exited..model number LC-70LE733U
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for the information,

Do you see any solid or flashing lights on the front of the tv?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Nothing...no lights of anykind
Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for confirming.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply board (at a minimum) and/or main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc). This would be consistent with the lightening strike you had. Despite appearances and claims, most surge protectors offer very little real world protection for sensitive electronics like tvs. They work well for motors and appliances, but can't clamp down quickly enough or absorb enough transient voltage to stop a lightening strike, and typically one device, usually a tv or computer, takes the brunt of the damage.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

You may want to consider replacement as an option as well, as this tv is more than halfway into its service life at this point. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $1500 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 2 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?