Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Okay my Hitachi TV, (model:L40C205) messed up I was just

Customer Question

okay my Hitachi TV, (model:L40C205) messed up I was just watching it yesterday evening and the screen just went black but I can still hear sound. I've tried turning it off and back on but the screen just stays black. is this problem fixable or do I just need to get a new TV?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Hitachi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: the exact model is L40C205 not quite on how old it is though.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: The TV as far as the screen goes, does absolutely nothing you can change channels and hear but there is no picture whatsoever. I mean I was just sitting here as I always do and was watching my shows and it just out of no where went blank on me just a black screen no channel numbers show when I change the channel and the little box that usually pops up when I change the input does not show anymore but those actions still work, you just cannot see anything except a black screen.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: nothing popped up, the screen just went completely black. before the screen went black, there was a black line down the right side of the screen that's been happening for awhile now over a year but as the day would go by the black line would fade away.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing I can think of except I was just sitting here as usual and the screen just went out but the sound still works I can change channels and input but cannot see anything at all on the screen
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 29 days ago.

Hi , I`m Jack , i will be helping you today
Can you please send me a reply when you are ready to proceed ?

Expert:  Jack replied 29 days ago.

By the way you were greeted by a computer hence the odd questions

Expert:  Jack replied 29 days ago.

When you are able to , can you tell me if the screen just blank with some background light or completely dark like when the tv is off ?
If you`re not sure then darken the room and turn the tv off and on again while you observe the screen .