Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

I cant turn it on or off only red light on, LN32A330J1D

Customer Question

i cant turn it on or off only red light on
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: LN32A330J1D about 5 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no cant see any thing
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Well its in a spare bedroom and no one has turned it on in some time
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not realy
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

The symptoms you're having here (red light stays locked on with no response from the power button) typically points to a faulty Mainboard in the set, which is the board that processes the turn on/off commands in the TV. In many cases this requires replacement of this part to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you still having the same issue please?

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately that is all you can try on a user level, and if the issue persists, then this indicates the set has a fault either in the mainboard or the power supply board. There are no quick fixes for this and the set requires component level testing and replacement to fix it. The average cost for this repair on this set is in the $250-$300 range, and given the availability of parts (parts are no longer made after around the 5 year mark), and the fact that the set is around 5 years old, AND can be replaced with a brand new 32" LED for the same cost- this is not a cost effective repair. I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.
If you need further assistance let me know. PLEASE DO click at least a 3 STAR RATING, at the top of the page for my efforts. That is how the site credits me for my work.

Expert:  Aric replied 26 days ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.