Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I have a PanaSONIC dvd/vHS SYSTEM. The unit is Model DMR-

Customer Question

I have a PanaSONIC dvd/vHS SYSTEM. The unit is Model DMR- EZ48V. I am experiencing a problem in that the unit is locked up and its operation cannot be restored. I have tried various aids that I thought might help and rectify the situation - but none have worked. I have disconnected the power cord for more the 10 minutes, I have pressed the RESET button but also to no avail. I continually get a moving display of 6 circles. Sometimes ths change to "F60." I need your help to resolve this problem.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hello David,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, specifically a faulty video board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2008 model , that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising, as this unit is significantly past its service life at this point.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; however repairs are simply not feasible for these units. Parts are not readily available and labor alone is more than the system is worth.

For a unit of this age, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand recorder with a fresh warranty for less than repairs. VCR technology is now obsolete and hasn't been made for many years, and even dvd recorders are hard to find anymore but still possible, most units will be hard drive + dvdr based, and I can certainly recommend some if I may know a bit more about your intended use.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Nathan -- If your corrective procedure does not work, please recommend another Panasonic unit that will play both - DVD as well as VHS units. I await your response. David
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Unfortunately David there simply is not one. They have not made dvd/vcr units for about 5 years so they are in short supply and are very quite costly. Here is the latest model they made: it is available used but even then are expensive.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 29 days ago.

Do you need more help with this, David?