Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

I was just disconnected with my Sony plasma standby issue,

Customer Question

I was just disconnected with my Sony plasma standby issue , and I paid Can I get re connected ?
JA: What's the exact make and model of your television? And what have you tried as far as getting this connected goes?
Customer: I didn't even get to the technician
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: 2 days
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I already did this!
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: I already paid but got no help
JA: Sorry about that. I must have missed it. Could you tell me again?
Customer: Sony model KDE-50xs955 Stuck in standby mode
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Were you perhaps working with a different site/service, or signed in to another account? There are no prior questions or open tickets under your current sign in. Perhaps you didn't finish the posting or payment process?

That said, I'd be happy to help you here, but we will need to start from the beginning, can you tell me more about the problem?
Won't turn on? Solid or flashing light on front?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The red light is in intervals of 4
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
it turns on but then shuts off after about 30 seconds that's when the light starts
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for the information,

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, specifically an eeprom fault, which means a bad main/control board, though there are many possible failure points. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2006 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising; this set is significantly past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is long obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the $400 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Do you need more help with this?

If so, simply reply back on this page.

Please note: You have already paid your fee to the site; I'd like to help you and provide value for that fee, but I do need to communicate with you here to do so.