Nathan, Installer
Experience:  Custom home theater installer, authorized dealer top brands.

Panasonic Plasma will not power up and power LED flashes 14

Customer Question

Panasonic Plasma will not power up and power LED flashes 14 times and repeats
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: 09/2011 let me check model
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: TC-P42S30
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Was in daughter's room, she thought she heard what sounded like a circuit breaker snap
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Swapped out with another unit (I own 3 of these) and they work fine.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Nathan.
Sorry to hear that you're having trouble with this but I'll do my best to help you.

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Are you certain about it flashing 14 times?

Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

I ask because that is not a valid trouble code.

Perhaps it is blinking 7 and you are missing the pause between so counting double?

If unsure, unplug power for a minute, replug, and check again.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did and will do it again. I counted 14 and then there is a significant pause and then it does it again for 14. Let me plug it back in and see.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Plugged the unit in, heard what sounds like a relay (click), unit starts flashing 14 times then long pause. I saw it do this several times. If I press power button during the cycle it stops and then starts flashing 14 times again.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for confirming.

14 is a non specific fault, meaning that the internal diagnostic function isn't even working, which would point to a bad main board as the assumed fault.

This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear; as a 2011 model tv, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising. This tv is at/past its service life at this point, and plasma technology is now obsolete.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation:
1) Unplug the power cord from the outlet

2) Wait at least 1 hour (60+ Minutes)

3) Press and hold the power button (on the set, not the remote) for 60 seconds
4) Keep holding power button while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after. When plugging back in, go directly to the wall outlet, bypassing any power strips or surge protectors.

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; if you're thinking about a do it yourself repair, you'll need to be comfortable and skilled with electronics repairs, which could include dismantling the set (removing the back panel of the tv), diagnostics testing with a multimeter, changing out boards as needed, and possibly desoldering/removing and soldering/replacing individual components.

If you’re considering repair at a local shop, you’ll find a typical repair to be around $300 for diagnostics, parts, and labor; the part alone can be well over $200 alone.

For a tv of this size/age however, replacement will make more sense. You can get a brand new LED tv with a fresh warranty in the same $300 range.

Depending how you’d like to proceed here, I can help with finding parts, finding a repair shop, or recommending replacement options. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the details. Will try you last step. I like Plasma better than most LEDs I have seen. That is why I have four this size and large for my media room. Will let you know if this last attempt to reset works.
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

You're welcome, and best of luck to you.

I prefer plasmas as well, but they haven't been made for 4 years now, by anyone. The newest OLED models are as good or better than plasma, but they are more expensive and not available in the smaller sizes so far:

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I performed the 60 second no AC and holding power button, then applying AC and hold for another 60 seconds. When I let go the fiber port for audio was on. I pressed the power button the power LED came on solid but the unit did not display anything (no menu, etc). Pressing the power button again started the 14 blinks. It is truly 15 blinks. So which component should I replace next? I am willing to try this before I send to a shop or replacing it.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Found this online
14 blinks:
IROM SOS (ROM in Peaks IC) cause A-Board, P-BoardOne of A-Board or P-Board needs replacing. You can use a digital multimeter to check the P-Board voltages and rule that out; that leaves the A-Board as a potential cause.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The error code is 95% A-board, 5% P-board
Expert:  Nathan replied 1 month ago.

What you are seeing is not specific to this model. Granted most of the trouble codes are similar, it is not specific to your model and your model does not have a defined trouble code beyond 13. That said, I would still replace the A board first, which is what I recommended previously as well.

I see a used/refurb one here:

new here:

double check your actual part numbers for a match before ordering though

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Agreed, the articles I read were from people with the same model. Is there a technical guide for this so I can break it down correctly?
Expert:  Nathan replied 30 days ago.

There is nothing that gives any detail for 14/15 flashes or more than you have already seen.

The A board is the appropriate action here if you wish to repair the tv.

Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Agreed. Will let you know how it goes. Thx Still need a tech guide for opening it up correctly.
Expert:  Nathan replied 30 days ago.

There is no need for a guide to opening it up, and service documentation does not cover that anyway. That is assumed to be a basic skill/knowledge of any qualified tech that would be working on these.

Face down on a blanket on a table or work station, power disconnected.

Remove the screws around the perimeter, checking as well for screws around the power inlet and hdmi ports. Remove all, pull the cover off, disconnect the wiring harnesses to the A board, remove screws in the corners, pull out board. Repeat in reverse to replace with the new one.

If you have any other questions, just let me know. Otherwise, please take a moment to rate my service using the stars at the top of the page; hopefully I have earned 5 Stars. I also invite you to contact me directly with any future support needs at and ask for Nathan.

Thank you, ***** ***** a nice day,

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Nathan, swapped the A board and still have 14 blinks. Something is creating that pattern. There are not that many boards in this unit. If not A what it the most logical next to replace? Which actually generates the blinks?
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Also, when first powered up the LED stays solid. Some sites indicate that is a power supply problem. I show a short on P2 when connected to the next board but not when disconnected from that board. The next board still shows a short if that makes any difference.
Expert:  Nathan replied 27 days ago.

Thanks for the update, Customer and for trying out that A board. That was by far the most likely, since 14 isn't a specific error.
There are quite a few boards in these sets between scan/sustain/buffer, so it isn't that easy to isolate when it doesn't give a valid code. The main is what generates the SOS.

The PSU is the next most likely, but based on your testing it would be coming from that other one which sounds like the SS board from your description if I'm understanding you correctly. Do you see a part number on it? Those boards often fail due to a bad ground/short when a ground screw wiggles lose. Look around the screws in the board for any burn marks to help confirm.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** add a file with pictures as well as PNs.
Expert:  Nathan replied 26 days ago.