Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have a jvc 32 inch tv/dvd combo and it will not power on.

Customer Question

i have a jvc 32 inch tv/dvd combo and it will not power on. It is in a room that is seldom used. This set may have 10 hours of viewing time at best. Very frustrating! I have tried holding the menu and volume buttons on the side of the tv while pressing the power button and no luck. I have also tried disconnecting it from any power sources and left it disconnected overnight to try again the following morning and still no luck. I am now of the opinion I need to buy another set! Hate having to do that as it is in a room that I seldom use. Sewing room... When I do spend time in there I do want the availability of tv/dvd . What should I do now?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your JVC is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is about 3 to 4 years old. I bought it at Sam's on black Friday. 10 hours is truly stretching the time though.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Nothing works. No power. It is not the wall outlet as we have tried testing other items.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It has almost always been that way from the beginning. It was in a different room and displayed those same issues. However, because it has been in an area of little action nothing has been done. Once we tried wiggling the power cord and/or disconnecting it and it seemed to have worked. The last time I was in that room was a couple of months ago. It worked then. It was on for the longest time ever. 2 hours. I tried turning it on yesterday again and same old problem.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing at this time. If the tv is or has been defective I understand I probably have no recourse. I just happen to like the tv/dvd combo but am afraid I should probably not purchase a set like that again.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

Can you get me the full model number off of the back of the JVC please?