Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience

Can tv be hacked so remote will not work, d-65-d2,remote is

Customer Question

can tv be hacked so remote will not work
JA: What's the make and model of your television? And is the remote the same, universal, or for another device?
Customer: d-65-d2,remote is for tv
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: nothing works and when changing channels no menu at top as before
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: directtv menue l;ocked up then came back
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The remote may be defective. (Can another remote work with this TV? Would you like to try replacing the remote?)

The TV's receiver (a little module that senses the pulses of light (usually infrared and invisible light) the remote is sending to it) may be defective. That does happen, too.

The TV's logic board may be having problems, too, by the sound of it. When you press the MENU button on the TV, after it has locked up and refused to respond to the remote, do you get no response then, no Menu on the TV's screen? if that's what happens, the TV is defective and will require a more-than-trifling repair: The infrared sensor module is a relatively small and cheap part, but the logic board or other parts would cost something considerable.

Let me know which of these cases seems most likely, and what you would like to do.