Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

Have Olevia 247TFHD TV. When watching a program on cable

Customer Question

Have Olevia 247TFHD TV. When watching a program on cable while recording another program the screen and sound freezes, lasts 1-3 seconds and then normal for 5-10 seconds and then freezes again. When I play the recorded show the same freezing issue has been recorded on it.
I have AT&T U-Verse. I had a new cable box installed a week ago. No problems like this with old box till the new one was installed. I had AT&T send me a new cable box and just installed it and am having the same issue.
Is there a fix for this in some setting of the TV?
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, Sorry you're having problems. Since the freezing occurs within the cable box (the TV has no way it could freeze a program), and a reboot of the cable box does not help, then I would suggest contacting the cable provider to have them swap out the box, as we commonly see these boxes cause this problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Apparently you didn't read my entire question. I said that I had a new cable box installed by an ATT tech a week ago. The problem started and I had ATT send me a replacement box, it is a brand new on and a different model number than the one the tech installed. Since the problem is showing it's self with two different cable boxes I can't help but think the common denominator is the TV.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay, I'm confused on your original post, which I did read in it's entirety. Please look at this excerpt form your post and you can see why:

" I had a new cable box installed a week ago. No problems like this with old box till the new one was installed."

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

So you're saying there were no problems with the old box, not until new one was installed. However now you're saying there is a problem regardless of what box is connected to the TV?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please read the next sentence after the one you quote. If I didn't make it clear that I had ATT send a new box to replace the first one I am sorry.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Okay I did, and sorry, it wasn't clear to me. If the issue is in fact the TV then it's the TV's "Mainboard" that is failing and needs to be replaced, and given Olevia sets have not been made in over 7 years, there are no new parts or support for them. Perhaps a used/pulled part off eBay, if you want to do this yourself.

The only other possible cause of this could be the HDMI cable (if applicable) used between the Cable Box and the TV. If you have not yet replaced that yet, that is what I would recommend as the next step.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

So either a new HDMI cable, or the TV's Mainboard needs to be replaced. There are no settings/adjustments that will cause the set to freeze a picture.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
We had a box from ATT for three years. It failed. ATT came out a week ago and replaced it with a new box. I found the record freezing problem when I tried to record a program that evening. I called ATT the next day and they sent me a new box that just arrived, a different model number than the one the tech installed. I installed it and it is doing the exact same thing. Picture freezes when watching one station while recording another. It's freeze and go freeze and go, 1-3 seconds freeze and 5-10 seconds of normal picture, just keeps repeating.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I understand, please re-read what I posted in my last few replies.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
OK, I'll replace the HDMI cable and see what happens. I just found it odd that I had no problem like this for three years and then with a new cable box it started, and continues with another new cable box. I'll change the HDMI cable and go from there. Thanks
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I understand. One old box was fine and two new boxes are not. The only commonality would be the cabling or the TV itself, and again there's no settings/adjustments on the TV. If the TV is in fact the root cause then it requires repairs which are not cost effective. All we can do when troubleshooting is divide and conquer to find the root issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
as I said the problem doesn't happen when I hit record while watching a show, while it is recording and I am watching program at the same time. It doesn't happen when watching a program and hitting pause and then starting to watch again. Only happens when recording one show while watching another.
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.