Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

My Mitsubishi TV is flashing a code of 6 red flashes and 1

Customer Question

My Mitsubishi TV is flashing a code of 6 red flashes and 1 yellow flash.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Mitsubishi is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Let me check.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: It's a WD-60638 MODEL SERIAL# ***** *****
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not at this time
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way.

Let me grab the manual for that set. Let me know that you have received my message.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've received your message
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. Could the error code be one red and six yellows and not six reds and one yellow?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, its 6 red 1 yellow, and when we try to turn it on the light is green... But the screen never comes on then starts flashing the code.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

That's odd because a 6-1 is not a valid code for that chassis. Are you 100% positive that it is a WD-60638?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. 6-1 is a code for other models, just not that one. Let me see what it was on the models before and after yours. Hold on please.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

All I can tell you is that on previous Mits chassis (BUT NOT YOURS) a 61 code is usually a bad color wheel. I'm going to suggest hat is what's going on here. If the wheel does not spin up in time, or at the correct speed, no "lamp enable" signal is sent to he main board.

Have you ever had this set repaired or maybe had it's firmware updated?

Let me know so that we can continue.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, but we replaced the bulb 3 years ago
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

It does appear that the 60638 had two different light engines. If that is the case, then I would definitely suspect the color wheel since a 61 on every other set is a bad color wheel.

The wheel costs about $150. Sometimes a little more. Replacement however requires a significant amount of work including removal of the light engine.

Would you be comfortable doing that?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Probably not.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Ok, I found a video that shows the color wheel replacement on a typical Mits DLP. CLICK HERE for that.

That is basically what needs to be done. If you can't do it then you are at the mercy of a TV repair shop. I would realistically thing you are looking at $400+ if they have to come to you.

If you give me your zip, I can try and recommend someone.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions, please if you would, rate my service today. A rating of three or more stars is preferable. It is the only way I am credited with helping you. It does not close our dialog together however so if you need to come back in a week, a month or a year, the question will still be here.

Thanks very much.