Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I replaced my lamp in my JVC rs46u unit but I do not have

Customer Question

I replaced my lamp in my JVC rs46u unit but I do not have the original remote. My remote is an MX-450 and I am trying to figure out how to reset it on the projector or this remote
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

In order to use this MX remote to reset the lamp timer- you need to be able to get into the projector's MENU and navigate through it. Are you able to access MENU using that remote?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Many universal remotes don't allow you to access intimate functions of the devices you're using it for- they are intended to control BASIC functions only (power on, source, volume, etc).

That being said here are the steps:

1) Press the [MENU] button to display the menu.

2) Select “Function”“Lamp Reset” from the menu.

3) On the Reset Lamp Time? screen, select Yes and press the OK button  The lamp time is reset to zero.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

That being said here are the steps:

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

That being said here are the steps:

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I'm not sure why, but I'm not able to post my reply on my end. Are you able to see the steps above?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I see your reply but the function button on this remote does not give me a lamp reset option
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You don't press a function button on the remote. You press the MENU button on the remote, then right arrow over to FUNCTION.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Are you able to do that?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I cannot take a phone call- sorry. Please reply on this page.

In other words IN the MENU, on the top row is an option called "Function". You click on that, and then scroll DOWN to "Lamp Reset", then click OK.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Press MENU on the remote and tell me what you see across the top of the MENU please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am hitting the main button and because the screen will not come down the menu button will not change anything
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Huh? Please elaborate what you mean here: "because the screen will not come down"

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

It's possible you are not going to be able to use that remote. However, please click the link below, scroll to page 67 and let me know if you can see the MENU like in the picture on that page:

http://pro.jvc.com/pro/attributes/PRESENT/manual/dla46_56_66_48_manual.pdf

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The projector screen when it comes down allows me to operate the other buttons. Right now all I can get to and not past is pressing the main button which displays sat radio did games
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

That is not the MENU- that is the Input list.

Unfortunately if you're not able to access the MENU and follow those instructions using the MX remote, then you will not be able to reset the lamp timer without the original remote. This is not uncommon as universal remotes are only intended for BASIC functions like power, input, volume, etc. In that case the OEM remote needs to be obtained. It is at the link below for your projector for $30 and is the only solution unfortunately:

http://www.remotes.com/product-p/JVC-PC021084599.htm?gclid=CjwKEAjwu8m-BRDM8KTcjdj8qy0SJACdjSZptk51ASyJJ4l8XRN_WDNnefAEWhYcJ8blu-aKP2-kFhoCQPXw_wcB

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It can't be reset on the back of the projector
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Did you try it? It's got a MENU button, arrow buttons and OK button which are what I stated to use above?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Follow the instructions on the page that I posted specifically for you to view (page 67).

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
walk me through that on the back of the projector. It has menu ok input back and standby
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It does not have a hide function which the instructions state to press for two seconds
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

There sure isn't any hide function in that page I referred you to.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Press MENU, then RIGHT ARROW OVER TO function. Press OK. Let me know what you see.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I see what you're saying, it says to press "A" button, and then says to press the arrow down button for 2 seconds.

However lets just get as far as seeing if you can access the lamp reset menu.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Don't worry about that part, we're doing a different procedure.

The steps on the LEFT PART of the page on page 67 are designed using the buttons ON the projector itself.

Do you have that page open and can you follow them?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This projector just has buttons no screen unless it is enclosed
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

The screen I'm talking about is the screen that your projector displays ON!

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Are you saying you can't even get the projector to turn ON? If so this has nothing to do with your lamp timer- you have a completely different problem.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Can you get the projector to turn on and show light on your projector screen yes or no?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The projector is on and I can place it in standby mode on the back. Warning light red, lamp light blinking, and standby red
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

This has nothing to do with resetting your lamp timer then- that timer doesn't prevent the projector from powering up and the only way to reset it is if the projector is ON and showing a picture on your screen. You have a hardware issue here. Where did you purchase that lamp from and for how much?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Let's elaborate on those lights. Which ones are steady lit and which ones are blinking- this is important?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Is LAMP orange blinking and WARNING red blinking?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The standby on and warning light is red and the lamp light is the only one blinking and it is yellow
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

This indicates a hardware issue with the projector that requires service. Again, possibly the lamp. Where did you purchase it from, for how much?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I can put my lamp I pulled out right back in and it will work fine just says lamp replacement
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You're still not replying about the new lamp. The new lamp is the issue which is why your old one works and the new one does not. Your new lamp is not correct- where did you purchase it and for how much??

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The lamp is from projector lamp and is PK-L2312UG-CM-H
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It is identical to the one I pulled out and fits straight into the same spot where the old one does
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I've asked about the price 3 times. The fit and appearance means nothing. The lamp relies on a specific gas charge to ignite. The OEM lamp is the only one that will work in this projector- its $350. Any lesser priced clones will NOT work and cause the exact problem you're having right now. You need the OEM lamp which is why you cannot get it to power up- we see this commonly. It is a clear indication if your old lamp powers up and the new one does not that the issue is your new lamp- nothing else. Below is a link to the correct lamp for your projector and this will solve the issue.

http://www.purelandsupply.com/dla-rs46u-jvc-lcd-and-dlp-lamps.html?gclid=CjwKEAjwu8m-BRDM8KTcjdj8qy0SJACdjSZpNvt4bQJjX1AQbmBFKRfsgzg-9KE6_N7cpm1cQxQafhoCECbw_wcB

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok we will ser
Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You see, the outer appearance of the lamp is superficial. It is the gas that the lamp is charged with that ignites- this isn't like a standard light bulb. The ballast needs to be able to spark that gas with several thousands of volts in order to light the lamp. The lesser priced lamps use thinner glass that is not capable of holding the gas charge required- which is why they are cheaper. The OEM lamp is only available from Pureland Supply (that is all the stock is OEM), and you need the correct lamp in order for your projector to work and then can rest the lamp timer using the buttons on the projector itself.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

You can plainly tell by the fact that you said the projector will power up with the old lamp. It has no way of knowing if a new or old lamp is installed. If the new lamp was fine it would turn right on and allow you to reset the lamp timer. The issue is the lamp is not OEM. I have seen this dozens of times in my 50 hours a week on this site in the last 7 years.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

If your old lamp works, then the OEM one above will work. If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

I've been with you on this for 5 minutes less than an hour, and we went halfway through that time before you mentioned that the projector would not even power up. I have been working of my own time unpaid helping you, and the only way I receive a PORTION of your deposit is if you rate me 3-5 stars. Could you please kindly do that?

Expert:  Aric replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I was just following up to see if you needed further help. The site shows that since the question is open that you are still looking for help. Or, if you received the information you were looking for- please kindly RATE my service POSITIVELY to reflect that. Thank you.