Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

The red power light comes on, the light blinks about 3

Customer Question

The red power light comes on, the green light blinks about 3 times, it powers off, and keeps cycling until I unplug. The screen always stays dark
JA: What's the model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Toshiba 52hm95, 10 yr old 50 inch
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I lost ya. Yes, nothing changes by changing inputs
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: It's been an issue for a week but I just hooked up another tv and let it go. It happened once a few years ago and corrected it self in the same day
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Before this issue, our screen was getting dark. I saw on you tube HDMI makes the picture darker than color stream. I was wondering if that is true
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

The green light blinking three times and not stopping until the set is unplugged, is a failure of the Mainboard in the set. This is the board that processes the HDMI and AV Inputs. Offhand, the screen getting dark is caused by a failing Lamp- nothing to do with the HDMI ports.

That said, you have somewhat conflicting symptoms. I need to know the following:

1) When was the last time the Lamp was replaced?

2) If you unplug the TV and plug it back in, does the clicking and green blinking occur right away- or only after you press the power button?

At any time does that green light tun red- if you leave it long enough blinking?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm unsure why you're not able to reply, but can you please simply tell me when that Lamp was last replaced (if ever)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The lamp was replaced less than 1 year ago.
The lights only blink when the power is turned
On
The green light never turns red
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for the reply. This blink code, and the screen getting darker indicates your Lamp has failed, and is common when anything but the $105 OEM lamps are used.

Per your manual:

Green blinks continuously
at 0.5-second intervals;
Red is ON (solid).

Means the Lamp has failed and needs to be replaced.

That said, you will need to replace the Lamp to fix the set. The OEM lamp for your model can be purchased at the link below:

http://www.purelandsupply.com/toshiba-dlp-tv-lamps_52hm95.html

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

The set is cycling repeatedly because the ballast keeps trying to spark the lamp and it cannot. This directly coincides with the picture getting darker prior to this.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.