Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

Second opinion] - I have a samsung 64 inch plasma that made

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I have a samsung 64 inch plasma that made a loud pop and shut down. I have bypassed surge protector and still same problem. red light blinks two short then one long and it also makes a light click sound every 8 seconds or so when plugged in, like it is trying to turn on.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: Samsung PN64D550C1F. no problems in past at all. just now that it made that loud pop
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: no. the screen does not work at all. the only thing that is on is the little red light and the click noise
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: two nights ago while watching tv. everything was normal, then suddenly POP and nothing since then. We were doing nothing but sitting and watching
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: can't think of anything. I actually have it on the floor now with the back off though
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Hello there and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am an engineer with over 30 years of electrical and electronic training, repair and installation experience. I will try and answer your question accurately and precisely so that we can get you on your way. you have a meter that measures AC and DC voltages, and resistance (ohms)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry. I do not have time now. No longer home. I think i have it figured out, and have purchased a replacement power board. If that does not fix it completely i will try a new Y main board as well. Does that sound reasonable to you?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 1 month ago.

Both boards can go bad and cause problems.

Click HERE for a diagram of the Power On sequence.

If you install your boards and are still having issues, let me know and we can troubleshoot. You will need a meter though as we will be measuring voltages and impedance.

Good luck.