Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

I have an older lg tv model 62sx4d-ub. A while back the

Customer Question

I have an older lg tv model 62sx4d-ub. A while back the Color wheel exploded and I was left with a black and white screen. I bought the parts off of eBay and took it into a tech to get them put in. I bought a bulb and a Color wheel. The tech phoned while repairing it and said the bulb I got was too dim so he put in a different bulb. I got the tv back and the pic is ok but the tv is only at 50% brightness. What could be the problem ? He also said he repair a couple of sockets.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The question I'd like to ask is, Has it been determined as to why the color wheel exploded in the first place?

Also, depending upon *what* exactly and in all details, the tech did. Dimness of the screen could be caused by several different things in several different places - e.g. a readjustment made to some values/settings in the TV that affect brightness.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything I could check ?

You could try doing a factory settings reset on the TV, first of all (if that is possible with this model) in order to see whether a changed setting was the problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Could it be a Color wheel photo sensor. The board that is mounted right next to the Color wheel. I'm guessing that is the board that they fixed sockets on.

It could perhaps... but I am rather weak on color wheel TV problems, so I feel that this is the right time for me to Opt Out, and open this case to other Experts in this category - particularly to one with Color Wheel TV expertise.

Thank you for following the process this far.