Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company

Every time I turn on the TV, vizio model E291-A1, the screen

Customer Question

Every time I turn on the TV, vizio model E291-A1, the screen "No Channels in Master List" message. I am connected directly to cable. I can select Menu, but when trying to select any of the menus, the same error message appears.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Vizio is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model E291-A1, and probably 3-4 years old.
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: I can select the Menu ok, but when trying to select Settings, or Input, the error message appears.
JA: How long has this been an issue? What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: We had the TV repaired under warranty a while back, Put it away, for backup.
JA: Anything else you want the TV expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nope.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems.

How do you receive channels on the set- is there a cable box of some sort connected? If so what port on the TV is it connected to (example: HDMI 1)?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No cable box, connected directly to cable. Nothing but "No Channels in Master List" appears. I can get the Menu screen, but all functions I try returns the same error message.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Okay then tis indicates the mainboard of your TV has failed, since you should not be losing all of your channels this way and should be able to navigate the menu without that message. So, in most cases you will need to replace the Main AV board in the set to fix the issue.

However it's worth it to try a hard reset, as sometimes the processor in the TV can simply have locked up.

The first thing you would try, is disconnect the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the TV itself (not the remote), for 10 seconds and release. Then plug the set back in, and also check that the power cord is connected tight at the TV as well. Press power once, and see if the set powers up and operates normally. Try this procedure up to 3 times, and please let me know what happens.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Are you till having the same problem?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Tried that from the Vizio website suggestions, no good. If that's all, we can chuck the TV and get a new one cheaper than replacing the mainboard. Thanks for the help.
Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Sorry, but that's all you can do. If you're looking to fix the set yourself, the board that needs to be replaced, is $50 at the link below and doesn't require any special tools to swap it:

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Alternatively a shop will charge closer to $175 parts and labor to replace the main- and as you surmised it's money MUCH better spent to replace these sets than repair. They're made to fit a price point and it is not uncommon to have faults in the 3-5 year range. However if you're a DIY type then for $50 you've got a working TV.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news here and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Expert:  Aric replied 1 month ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?