Aric, Technician
Experience:  15+ years in the field. Owner of AV Installation, OEM and Repair company
24739752

I have a smsung 65 inch led smart tv im getting a flickering

Customer Question

i have a smsung 65 inch led smart tv im getting a flickering like a strobe in the bottom 1/4 half of the tv unit was baught 3 yrs ago so no warranty but never dropped hit or anything of that matter what can it be i tried using diff hdmi cables also input iv checked the outlet tried diff aswell but nothing i know its the tv because the smart hub is doing the same thing without any sources plugged in
Category: TV
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Hello, My name is ***** ***** I'll be assisting you. I'm sorry you're having problems. The flickering occurring on the bottom portion of the screen is caused by failing LED's inside of the screen/panel itself- which is the most common failure in LED sets out there. This is caused by cheap lighting being installed in the screen at the factory.

Generally, this requires replacement of the LED light strips in the screen itself- which is not something most repair shops will tackle (they will deem the screen defective, which costs 90% of what the TV cost when new to replace- and is not worthwhile).

The only thing you can try on a user level, is to unplug the set from power, then press and hold the power button on the lower rear corner of the set for 20 full seconds, release, then after a minute, plug the set back in and power it up. This drains all residual current from the power supply board and in some cases can enact a reset.

If the issue goes beyond that however, then it is directly related to the panel, and is not a cost effective repair unless you are looking to disassemble the screen yourself and replace the LED strips unfortunately.

Other than that, I'm sorry for the bad news and wish there were a quick fix.

If you need further assistance let me know. Also, please do click a 3-5 STAR rating for my efforts before you go. That is how I am credited for my efforts by the site. You can follow up any time as needed at no additional cost.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
u dont think its the power supply do u think i can call samsung the leds should be under warranty right
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

No it's not the power supply, or the entire screen would be flickering- not just one portion. Also Samsung's warranty is one year parts and labor unless you purchased an extended warranty, so they would not be covered under warranty.

Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

Do you need further assistance with this?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is there any way to test the leds or the board controlling the leds
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

There isn't a board controlling the LED's- there is ONE output from the power supply that drives all of them. So if any other part of the TV besides the LED's were at fault- the ENTIRE screen would flicker not just one portion as I had mentioned above.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
is it common for all the led strips to fail i just have the bottom one flickering everything else is dark but i do get a pic on the whole screen but i guess the bottom leds are flashing
Expert:  Aric replied 3 months ago.

I'm unable to decipher what exactly you're seeing on the screen. Can you post a picture please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
i tried to send a video but file too large i cant snap the pic when its happening its to fast it blinks every half second can i send the vid to u instead
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
heres a pic i snaped as u can see the tv has a good pic but thats bright flash is what iam concerned about