Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

Louie -- Just Answer has completely screwed up, so I am

Customer Question

Hi Louie -- Just Answer has completely screwed up, so I am sorry to respond late to your reply.
I replaced the power board because the standby light flashes 5 times, which means there's a problem with the power supply. In researching, it seemed that the easiest thing to do was to replace the power board. I do so -- and I am still getting the same 5 flames though.
So - I'm wondering if there's any type of reset, or something I'm supposed to do after installing the new power board.
Please let me know asap -- I'd like to get my TV working again.
Thanks for your help.Marcia
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Hi again Marcia and welcome back to Just Answer. Sorry you had to wait awhile but I’ll do my best to help.

Initially, sorry but are you able to view/continue in your other question HERE?

Or should you prefer on this new question, then please post back here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Let's just keep it simple at this point and not refer to the other post. I put all the info I think you need in these two posts.
I'm just wondering if I could have received a bad power board, or is there another step or some sort of reset that needs to do done on this tv?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

I understand.

Still, the 5-blink code is DC_ALERT3 or more particularly, a detected fault with the PANEL5V / PANEL12V.

To confirm, carefully check for the presence of +12V at resistor R4042 of the BU1 board:

• if yes / present, then the panel would be the most likely suspect (hopefully not);
  • if no / low or missing, then the power supply even if new is back to being a suspect.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can you tell me where I'd find R4042? I'm looking at the whole board and not seeing it. Also - I checked the panels side by side and they are identical -- so it's the correct board.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

R4042 would be off to 1 corner and near Q4012 underneath the BU1 board.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
There are no components on this board that begin with a Q. There are Rs, JWs, Cs, Ps, Ls, Ds, Ts, but there are no Qs.
Let's make sure we're on the same page here -- I order and received part # 1-873-216-12 Sony Power Supply Board.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Yes for model KDL-32SL130, 1-873-216-12 is the power supply board; it is G1H board.

Sorry but please review post above, the proposed check is on the BU1 board. From the Service Manual, please see the board image HERE.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm just pulling the cover off the BU1 board -- there's a lot of small screws etc..give me a couple of minutes....
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

No prob; ...when able.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have the cover off but can't seem to match up the schematic you sent with what is there. The printed numbers are different. Can you tell me what corner I'd find R4042 in? Is it the upper left? Upper right? Lower left? lower right?
There just isn't anything that says Q4012! Is it labelled as something else in older boards? My TV is from 2007.
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

It would be on the trace side and as posted above "...underneath the BU1 board..."

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm sorry - I'm not a technician so I don't know what a "trace" side is. Could you say if it's top, bottom, left or right please?And when you say "underneath" -- do you mean at the bottom?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

Check at the bottom side of the BU1 board please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've looked all along the bottom - there is nothing I can see with either Q4012 or R4042. The resistors are all so small that I'm using a magnifying glass -- and only a few of them have a part # written on them.My BU1 board is 1-873-477-12 and the board pic you've sent is 1-873-477-11. Are you sure you sent the correct board schematic?
Expert:  Louie replied 1 month ago.

I reviewed the Service Manual and particularly the layout and enlarged it. And yes, the parts were as above described.

The posted board layout of a BU1 board was directly from the Service Manual of a KDL-32SL130 / WAX3 Chassis. Differences in the last digits would often indicate board revisions. Still, the general layout would be the same.

Perhaps another member can provide the layout specifically for a 1-873-477-12.

Let me re-open the question by opting out.